New Desk & Floating Shelves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryHL

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I was hoping for a bit of advice.

I've started to get into woodworking/cabinetry, but all my projects to date have focused on using sheet goods e.g. birch ply and I haven't much experience working with hardwoods.

My partner has asked for a new desktop and matching shelves out of oak, so I've sourced some 22mm x 200mm PAR boards.

I wanted to get advice on a few aspects, if that's okay.

Desktop:
  • Planning to buy a biscuit jointer to help glue-up alignment, and once finished it will be secured onto a flexispot/standing desk stand with four point of contact -> however it's not the most rigid base
  • I'm concerned about the desktop warping overtime -> Am I right to be worried and should I explore options to stabilise the desktop, if so what would you suggest?
Shelves (largely for books / misc items)
  • Floating shelves would be ideal, but concerned on strength of support and my ability to drill holes directly parallel to surface to avoid a slant, any suggestions on how to this?
  • Alternatively there is a wall on 3 sides, allowing a few mm for wood movement and caulk/silicon seems a safer solution with visible supports underneath?

Crude diagram below.
1654954515526.png

Attachments

• 1654953635420.png
    1654953635420.png
    400 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back