New credit card

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a new credit card (unsolicited) in the week.

Its a card I can wave in front of a receiver (installed at a retailers premises) and can be charged upto £20 per time and no need for a pin number.

OK, terrific.

My liability it states, I must inform the ccc as soon as I notice it missing or stolen.
Does that mean I am liable for any losses until I report the loss. I thought the ruling was ambiguous at that point.
If so I am breaking it up.

If it were me i would cut the card up, there are some clever little pippers out there and it wont be long ( probably already in use) before some kind of app will allow the criminals to scan for your card with a mobile phone and remove your hard earned pennies without your knowlege :cry: .
Cut up cards do make handy spacers :)

Either that and let some one pickpocket my cash, lose either way :twisted:

So no card and no cash should get them licked. :wink:

cut it up .....there the Devils work :twisted:

if lost :oops:

you could be hit over and over again for £20 :shock: ...and it soon amounts up #-o

Dave :O)

....... power to the people

JacksonLudditesLL.jpg

all that new fangled stuff ... burn it.

yep cut it up its not hard to steal money from on of those cards can be done with a smartphone

Contact less cards are a liability there is already a huge scam going on with people nicking you details using an Ipad.

john

MARK.B.":1d4uylsl said:
it wont be long ( probably already in use) before some kind of app will allow the criminals to scan for your card with a mobile phone and remove your hard earned pennies without your knowlege

I read on another forum tonight that there is an app. for the Iphone which allows you to scan your card and to make payments to on line suppliers without the need to enter your card details manually. Sounds dangerous and I don't care how often the techno geeks say it's all secure, yeah right it is, up to the point where some crook manages to grab all your details, and then it's all apologies and pyseudo apologies etc. etc.

I've had my Lloydstsb card since mid 2012, it wasn't until a couple of days ago that I knew it did this, a lady at the local supermarket noticed the shiny sticker and told me I could pay without my pin - she waved it about 6" over the machine and it was done. What's concerning me is, what if someone has a wireless version and loiters in say a heavily populated shopping area for instance, it's quite easy to get within 6" of your wallet. I've now wrapped my card in kitchen foil.

Gary

I see Amazon card now has the system so its looks like it will appear on all cards.

pass.jpg

Attachments

• pass.jpg
    pass.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,161
Not all cards. I know that Amex will give you a card without this 'feature' if you so wish it.

If you Google mastercard paypass hack there is stacks out there. For example here
and a more techie article here

So how are the cc companies going to protect themselves, the proper owner of the card may be in a different country and can prove their card is being used fraudently, and if that is so others who are not out of the country can bring this forward as an example that these kind of cards must have been used fraudently in their instance of incorrect bills.

The French have got it right yet again. They still use cheques for things like supermarket bill and normal shopping.

Our debit card costs us about 35€ for one each and if we did want a credit card it would only cost about 80€ a year for each one. I suppose that those non swipe cards are available here, but I've not seen one?

Mind you, the French were using pin numbers years before they appeared in the U.K.

Fair play to Barclay card, they put a stop on my dad's card several times. Once when goods were purchased overseas, fraudulently in this case. Twice where my son and dad had gone shopping and got the pin wrong (dad is 87 and his memory fails at times) and once where I bought a tv online for him (£799) They contacted us on all occasions and I sorted it out. It's a pain when the transactions are legal, but heaven sent when there not.

In a slightly different vein, I see there are cards for people with bad credit ratings??? Don't figure.

Gary

I read on another forum tonight that there is an app. for the Iphone which allows you to scan your card and to make payments to on line suppliers without the need to enter your card details manually.

I hadn't realized that Apple had included card reader hardware in their new phone.

I contacted my bank when I got a similar card, strangely I thought it better to ask them then a wood working forum :)
They have a limit (£100 I think per day using this payment method) and they assured me they would pick up the tab if it wasn't me that used it. Still not entirely comfortable about it but I saved my card from the shredder. After all it is quite hard work typing in that 4 digit code every time.

Back