New console table in walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shankat

Established Member
Reaction score
A console table made for our new hallway. Thanks to exotic hardwoods for the walnut, it didn’t turn out too bad. Now I just have to finish the hallway 😬
0FED0FB6-DB92-4A6E-9A46-E2216501F404.jpeg
0C7ABE49-EEB0-4C66-802B-EAFCED3F7A14.jpeg

Lovely job - those dovetails look good and tight 👍
Thanks Mike. If I’m honest parts were cut on the table saw with a home made jig. Final chiseling to fit. So for the purists I cant admit that they are 100% handmade.

A console table made for our new hallway. Thanks to exotic hardwoods for the walnut, it didn’t turn out too bad. Now I just have to finish the hallway 😬
View attachment 117706View attachment 117707
Very nice :) May I ask what is the technique for cutting out the drawer front from the same board as the front apron so that you have only the thin saw kerf as a gap? Thank you.

Not sure how Shankat did it, but the easy way is to cut the board into three along its length then cut the central part into drawer fronts and the inbetween bits and then glue the whole thing back together (after planing the edges) then true up the ends to make your joints on the ends, obviously you need to not cut the front to length too soon! The drawer front should be only fractionally smaller than the gap it sits in.
The grain won’t be perfectly in line by a fraction but it’s doubtful if anyone will ever be able to tell. Ian

Last edited:
Very nice :) May I ask what is the technique for cutting out the drawer front from the same board as the front apron so that you have only the thin saw kerf as a gap? Thank you.
Hi Tibi
apologies for the late reply. Cabinetman is spot on with his description of how it was done. However as a worker of wood it didn’t go exactly to plan 😆 I made a simple mistake. I didn’t take account of the kerf thickness of my table saw blade. I marked out and cut as described and then jointed back together using biscuits. Trouble was the drawer fronts were now 3mm shirt all around …. Novice mistake. If you look closEly you will see I ended up banding the drawer fronts with a 2mm strip of Sapele so they were snug. I learnt a lesson as I seem to do every day
cheers

Back