NEW COMPETITION - FABULOUS PRIZE!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, folks, those nice people at BriMarc have generously offered to put up a Veritas #4 Smoothing plane as a competition prize. Yep. One whole brand new, cutting edge (if you'll pardon the pun) plane. Ready to go. Delivered to your door.* :D :D :D :D

image.php3

So wadda I have to do to win this fabulous prize then? I hear you ask.

Simple. Build a box. Any sort of box. Large, small, softwood, hardwood, lid, no lid, even drawers if you like. Anything from a blanket box to a jewelry box. Maybe something for yourself in the workshop? Get an early start on those Christmas gifts perhaps? Doesn't even have to be made with joinery. Perhaps you want to turn one? Carve one? Shaker stacking boxes anyone? The possibilities are endless. You get to make something that's useful for you, and tailor the project size and complexity to the time you have available. Hand or power, it doesn't matter. If you can build a box, you have a chance of winning.

So what's the catch? :?

Two requirements for you to be eligible to win (apart from posting pics of what the finished article looks like of course!).

1. Use a technique you've never done before. Anything from a joint you've never tried, a way of cutting a joint that's new to you, type of finish, using hardwood for the first time. Anything like that.

2. You need to post at least one progress report. With pics is nice, but not everyone can do that, so just do the best you can. Anything from a simple report of what you got done on the box this weekend, right through to a blow by blow account of your first attempt at twin through wedged tenons and all the things that went wrong, or whatever. :wink:

The idea is to see that as many people who want to enter can do so and have a chance, that you get something out of it from entering, and we all get the pleasure of seeing craftsmanship and how it was produced. Even if you don't want to win :shock: join in anyway. I thought I might, even though I'm ineligible. :cry:

How will we judge it? Goodness only knows. It may even come down to names out of a hat. :D Tony's kindly volunteered to be a judge, so everyone else stands a chance of winning now 'cos he's not allowed. :wink: If you have any questions about whether the project or technique you have in mind will count, email me with "Veritas" in the subject line. Don't PM please; the box fills up too quick. :roll:

Oh, and the closing date? 8 weeks from today. Midnight on Monday 13th September 2004. Lucky 13 eh? :wink: So a progress report and a post about the finished box will need to be on the General Woodworking board by then. Even I should be able to make something in 8 weeks. Probably... :oops:

Good Luck :D and I'm sure I've forgotten some vital information - feel free to point it out won't you? :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

*Members from outside the UK are more than welcome to enter, but you'll probably need to contribute to any shipping costs, plus any customs charges. Sorry. :(

Funny you should mention that, Philly, as I've already been asked the same thing. Something specifically for the comp would be preferred, but as long as it meets the criteria of a new technique to you and a progress report (and "this is me putting on the last coat of finish" won't count btw... :wink:) then I don't see why not.

Cheers, Alf

What a great comp! Nice prize.
Alf - is your email address written somewhere?
Or am I just being blind :roll:

Aragorn, blind I'm afraid - it is there at the bottom of Alf's post as a little yellow 'email' button :p :p :wink:

Ah hum. I think I may actually have been an silly person in fact. :roll: I'd forgotten that mods see the email button for all members, regardless of whether it's hidden or not (although not the email address), and I'd forgotton to change my profile to make it visible. :oops: Told you there'd be something, didn't I? :roll: If all else fails, it's on my website (the button for which is always visible). Sorreeeee. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Tony":1z4sqq22 said:
Aragorn, blind I'm afraid - it is there at the bottom of Alf's post as a little yellow 'email' button :p :p :wink:

Hmm I'm sure that wasn't there when I first read ALF's post - as I thought the same thing.

Adam

Great Prize - thank you Brimarc for the generous offer/encouragement etc.

I think a box is a good subject too for a competition but I wonder how many folks will be on holiday during the allotted eight weeks and will find the timing just a bit tight?

waterhead37":1f1jddyd said:
I think a box is a good subject too for a competition but I wonder how many folks will be on holiday during the allotted eight weeks and will find the timing just a bit tight?

Excellent dates. Now, for anyone looking for a cheap last-minute deal can I suggest

www.lastminute.com

or

http://www.teletextholidays.com

Apparently it's going to be really RAINY for the next two months, and extended breaks away are suggested to top up that Vitamin D

:lol:

Adam

Well, Chris, I did think of that, hence the very open option on what to make. Part of the challenge is to make something you can fit in during the time you have, even if it's just a weekend. Although for such an excellent prize I would have thought most people will find the time somewhere :wink: Sleep? Wassat den? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Hang on-Is this a small project because certain members have a bad back? :lol: :lol: :lol:

A competitive Philly :twisted:

:roll: sheesh ! how can I make a box of any sort, when being a professional butcher of all things wooden - have used all the common methods and some unusual ways of making the damn things :oops: DAMHIKT !
Any ideas on new manner of jointing/finishing a box please respond. 8)

Aww HS, you can't have used them all! There must at least be a finish you haven't used? Someone send him a tin of Patina... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

houtslager":3iok5p74 said:
Any ideas on new manner of jointing/finishing a box please respond. 8)

To balance it up for us non-professionals I think you should try the "nail-it-together-whilst-blindfolded" an extremely rare technique, not often practised nor seen in many textbooks*

Adam

*remember not to use an electric/gas nailgun.

Right, I mulled over this one and my suggestions are (and excuse repitition):
Construction
Bandsawn
Shaker
Carved from the solid (oh, Chris?)
Hewn from a log (very similar, just bigger)
Chip, or otherwise carved top (still there, Chris?)
Covered in, or maybe just looking like a hunk of, moulding - worked by hand (curvaceous)
Hopper shape with dovetails (challenging)
Through tusk tenons (unusual)
Collapsible (intentionally that is)
Finger joints cut by hand (pointless)
Wooden hinges (unhinged)

Finish
Smoothed with sharkskin and/or bullrushes (traditional)
Stained with <fill in blank here>
Painted in a tromp l'oile effect to look like a hunk of roast beef (tasty)
Faux marble/wood/heaven know's what effect

Just a few suggestions to get you started. To pun without restraint: Think outside the box! :wink:

Cheers, Alf

As a judge for this rather fantastic competition, I would like to add my 2p worth in the hope of helping some lucky sole to to get their hands on this drool worthy prize :mrgreen:

Personally I would like to see a degree of creativity (and possibly a little flair) in the design element of the task as well as a demonstration of competence/craftsmanship in the make.

Interesting joints, and choice of wood(s) I feel, will be key to success from my point of view + I would like to see something to inspire myself and others to have a go.

Good luck to you all.

Hey I am just a beginner at this carving lark and have only a couple of chisels of my own so far and none suitable for a box - mind you LOML is buying me a few for my birthday next month - a lettering set though. I guess I shall just have to buy the others for myself - sigh.

Hmm... "technique new to you" and "beginner" do sort of go together... :wink:

And on the subject of judging, I personally will mentally award extra marks to anyone who can make really boring wood look good. Don't feel a cubic foot of Brazilian Mahogany and a flitch of Walnut burr veneer will guarantee anything. Except everyone telling you what a gloat it is of course... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Back