New clock face

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluenose

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a clock that hangs outside and the face has given up the ghost.
I have purchased a new face and it is made of a thickish paper and, I am wondering what the best glue will be to fix it in place.
I have (hopefully) included a photo of the worn out/damaged face so that you can see what I am dealing with.
Many thanks in advance of any suggestions/guidance.
Clock.jpg
Clock.jpg

A paper dial seems the wrong choice for external, you would need a painted or enamel dial due to the sun's bleaching effect and you would need it behind glass.

When I made a clock for my grandchildren, admittedly not to hang out side, I printed the face and then sealed it in a plastic sleeve. I bought a cheap device at Wilco and a pack of A4 sleeves for less than £15. Not worth it obviously for a one off but if you are associated with a school (neighbour a teacher or better still school secretary) they all have big machines to coat work cards etc. Out of doors clocks are often enamel and without a glass, as the glass can mist up.
1630236498697.png

A paper dial seems the wrong choice for external, you would need a painted or enamel dial due to the sun's bleaching effect and you would need it behind glass.
It was purchased as an external clock and it has lasted for a reasonable amount of time really. The original face is a sort of paper I think and, it does have glass in front of it. I realised that it was sun damage and so I do propose to hang it in a different place once repaired.

I would use a two part resin glue to secure the dial then once you have fitted it It might help to give it a spray coat of clear lacquer such as you would use on a car, then it should not matter if placed in the sun.

Have a look at cousins watch parts. They do a variety of sizes and styles in painted clock dials, would probably last a lot longer. If you are intending to use the replacement paper one then avoid any glue that takes a long time to dry. It will tend to soak into the paper and leave marks. I would suggest a spray type glue, or double sided carpet tape. Quite a job to get it on without creases, depending how thick it is.

Back