New chisels!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamoF

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say I now own woodturning chisels! Bought a set of four Stormont chisels off ebay so I can finally get into the lathe I've had sitting for two years...

Haven't heard of Stormont chisels before, are they any good? I figured they looked the part and hope were at least worth the £50 I paid for them.

Anyhoo, now to figure out the sharpening... I can get my normal chisels to a shaving edge but this I believe is a tad different. Got a couple of bench grinders so I expect I'll have to get a new wheel, or maybe a new grinder if these ones ain't up to the task... The black staining is from woodworm treatment apparently so I also want to turn new handles for them and clean them up a bit but for now I'm just a happy chappy and wanted to share :)

Happy new year!
Screenshot_20210101_192631_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
Screenshot_20210101_192635_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
Screenshot_20210101_192653_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Anyway,

I have one Stormont chisel bought in a job lot. It's rather well worn but holds its edge well. IIAC they are well regarded.

Nigel.

They are carbon steel so gently gently on the grinder & as soon as you feel any heat about 50mm from the edge, stop & dip in cold water. If you overheat the metal & it turns blue it will never hold a sharp edge & you have to grind back past the blue to get to decent metal.
As a beginner I would only use the small skew on small spindle work. As only the bottom third of the edge is used to cut, this small area is difficult to control. The two exceptions being, used on it's edge with the point down to incise a Vee & horizontal on the rest as a fine scraper.

I use a Sorby Pro sharpener, they are a bit pricey but perfect grind every time. 80% of my chisels are very old. Enjoy the journey

Back