New cascamite

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T

Established Member
Reaction score
Started a new can of cascamite last night and it didn't mix in the usual way, it needed more water to get a spreading consistency and looked more like white icing than the usual mix, a bit like it does if it's gone off. I suspected it was faulty, it was a new can purchased from Axminster this month. Contacted Axminster who said it was a new formulation which mixes differently and not to worry! Has anyone had a similar experience lately and did it work OK? I will be usung a lot of cascamite in a few weeks and don't want to have majory gluing failures.

Chjris

I have some recently purchased Polyvine cascamite and when mixed to the correct ratio it's very thick, similar to a stiff icing. Seems to work fine though.

My batch before last was purchased from some obscure source and it had a more granular feel to it. However it worked well and I used it all up with confidence. My most recent purchase was Polyvine from Rest Express and it was the fine powder I would have expected.
Brian

I used some from a new batch the other day and it seems to end up a bit darker, I also noticed that the left over i n the mixing pot took longer to go hard.
Seems to work OK though.

Merlin

Recently I used Polyvine cascamite, seems to have worked OK

The time taken to set seemed much longer than the two hours or so as expected

I bought some Polivine Cascamite a few years ago and left it unopened for over three years before using it earlier this year. It did not seem to mix properly and stayed as a wet powder rather than the normal glossy finish when wet. It had been some time since I had used Cascamite and thought my memory of what it was like was wrong. I had measured it and the water by volume as per the instructions.

I used it anyway and the next day it was a dryish powder that had not stuck the two pieces of wood together and it could be brushed off the wood with a soft wire brush. :(

I went out trying to find somewhere that sold Cascamite, most places don't. It mixed to what my failing memory thought it should with a bit of gloss to it and worked as it should. :D

Not used the new Polyvine so can't comment on that.

Hi Chris

The original factory that produced a key element of UF glues was based in Iraq but they ceased producing it around 18-24 months ago, a few suppliers dropped "Cascamite" as a result. I used to buy a Borden product but it disappeared from the market.
A new producer for that key element has been found but with a few teething problems. I bought a 25KG sack early last year which had some major contamination issues including string and rocks, and it was very different to mix etc.

I had three delivers until we got a cleaner batch but we now sieve it to remove smaller beads of something. The new Cascamite is much whiter than old and does indeed need a bit more water to make it useable and does feel a bit granular. I have also noticed that if you leave it in the pot after mixing the water can separate from the solid after a couple of days , I am hoping it's as reliable as the original but only time will tell....

I will be interested in others experience, I am using Polyvine and had the MD come and visit me last year when I noticed the issues.

Polyvine now also have a new WBP Cascamite this is a darker colour when mixed in the samples I have used.

Hope this helps answer a couple of questions but it leads to a few more...

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":2zg4yf0z said:
….. I have also noticed that if you leave it in the pot after mixing the water can separate from the solid after a couple of days , I am hoping it's as reliable as the original but only time will tell....
…...

Not quite sure I understand the above comment about water separating Peter, The Polyvine cascamite I have (original version), sets brittle hard if surplus is left in mixing pot, are you saying that mixed but unused does not complete hardening and separates.

Just when I was getting blasé with my limited use of the product it seems I may need to get brain engaged again.

CHJ":2s9xr8l4 said:
Peter Sefton":2s9xr8l4 said:
….. I have also noticed that if you leave it in the pot after mixing the water can separate from the solid after a couple of days , I am hoping it's as reliable as the original but only time will tell....
…...

Not quite sure I understand the above comment about water separating Peter, The Polyvine cascamite I have (original version), sets brittle hard if surplus is left in mixing pot, are you saying that mixed but unused does not complete hardening and separates.

I found the Cascamite would go hard but it was as if someone had poured extra water on top of the hardened mix.

Cheers Peter

Just when I was getting blasé with my limited use of the product it seems I may need to get brain engaged again.

Thanks Peter, forewarned if I see similar with any replacement product I acquire, reduce the panic quotient.

I continued to have problems with Cascamite, so much som that I rejected it during last weeks bench making course and used Titebond instead . I initially contacted Polyvine around the time I originally posted this thread when they said that it was OK it's like that with the new formulation. The mix during the course was unspreadable (see pic), I contacted Polyvine again and they eventually agreed that there was a moisture issue and have send a replacement. I purchased the glkue from Axminster at the beginning of October and kept it unopened until the first mix mention in this thread so I thjink the contamination was before I received it.

I think the new formulation makes it difficult to tell whether the stuff is OK , I am also doubtful about the instruction that you can add an extra 20% water to get the right consistency. Previously the instructions were specific and if you followed them you got the right mix the option to add extra introduces and element of doubt.

I am now reluctant to use cascamite.

Chris
rsz_1cascamite_1 (1).jpg

rsz_1cascamite_2.jpg

rsz_cascamite_3.jpg

Attachments

• rsz_1cascamite_1 (1).jpg
    rsz_1cascamite_1 (1).jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 313
  • rsz_1cascamite_2.jpg
    rsz_1cascamite_2.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 294
  • rsz_cascamite_3.jpg
    rsz_cascamite_3.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 311
That is both annoying and worrying, not that I use any great quantities (2 to 3kg a year) but its not a cheap item to procure only to find it to be not fit for purpose.
Even with the small quantities I use it is essential that the product provides its maximum bond strength.

CHJ":158jx119 said:
That is both annoying and worrying, not that I use any great quantities (2 to 3kg a year) but its not a cheap item to procure only to find it to be not fit for purpose.
Even with the small quantities I use it is essential that the product provides its maximum bond strength.

To reassure you CHJ I did a test mix of the new lot that Polyvine sent me. I mixed two parts powder with one part water. The powder mixed in well to give something like the consistency one would expect although some of the water would not mix in despite persistant stirring, so I had to pour off about 10-15% of the water. The mix was thicker than usual even though there was surplus water, the consistency seemed a but thick to work in a roller dispenser. A test joint was OK.

So I am somewhat reasssured about the new Cascamite but reserve judgement about it's spreadability.

By the way the batch number of the duff lot was 32435

Chris

Thanks for that Chris, sounds like I might have to alter my application method somewhat, at least I'll not panic if/when I get some free water left in the pot after your reassurance.

Latest posts

Back