New boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philip sewell

Established Member
Reaction score
Just completed 2 small batches of boxes, all dovetailed which is how I joint all my boxes. I letter carve as well if someone wants a personalised box.

Attachments

• oak-with-oak1.png
    oak-with-oak1.png
    1 MB · Views: 599
  • 2-cuved-sides-and-top-oak1.png
    2-cuved-sides-and-top-oak1.png
    906.8 KB · Views: 599
  • 2-cuved-sides-and-top-madrone1.png
    2-cuved-sides-and-top-madrone1.png
    1 MB · Views: 598
  • walnut-elm-panels2.png
    walnut-elm-panels2.png
    1 MB · Views: 597
  • 1panels-all-round-elm1.png
    1panels-all-round-elm1.png
    1 MB · Views: 598
  • 1panels-all-round-elm11.png
    1panels-all-round-elm11.png
    846.1 KB · Views: 597
Beautiful, clearly something you are happy making. The crispness of the letter carving is a statement itself, in that it displays the care you take.
xy

Thanks for the kind words re the boxes.

Yes the dovetails are hand cut. I’ve tried to push that as a selling point although I’m not sure the general public care too much about how things are put together (not like us woodies).

If you are interested I’ve got a page on my site showing my dovetailing technique (http://www.bespokehandmadeboxes.co.uk). There’s also a short series on utube I made trying to explain my process as I go along. They are amateurish and awful but might be of interest.

The boxes shown are oiled and waxed. I build up several layers of oil until I have a reflective surface then wax on top of that. I don’t really like high gloss finishes and it wouldn’t really suit the style of box I make anyway.

I’m a general all round woodworker and post most projects on my facebook page (link from the above site) if you are on FB (and interested).
Philip.

philip sewell":1uk75lac said:
If you are interested I’ve got a page on my site showing my dovetailing technique (http://www.bespokehandmadeboxes.co.uk). There’s also a short series on utube I made trying to explain my process as I go along. They are amateurish and awful but might be of interest.

Philip.

I really like the idea of using a couple of steel rules to lift the marking gauge. Thanks for sharing.

philip sewell":ft99mhcx said:
Just completed 2 small batches of boxes, all dovetailed which is how I joint all my boxes. I letter carve as well if someone wants a personalised box.

Pm sent

philip sewell":1exzyh88 said:
The boxes shown are oiled and waxed. I build up several layers of oil until I have a reflective surface then wax on top of that.
Philip.

What oil and wax do you use? You have a nice finish on burrs, do you fill the grain before oiling?

Aidan

I tend to use Liberon finishing oil with black bison clear/neutral wax. I fill walnut burr but generally not others.
P

Latest posts

Back