New bowl added to the gallery.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutting Crew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was commissioned to make a large bowl to suit the interior design and furniture of an apartment in Palma, Majorca.

The coloured band around the inside of the bowl is a two part paint effect having a gold base and dark red top coat but even on close inspection the finish looks more like leather than paint, a happy accident.

The bowl turned from rippled sycamore measures 20" in diameter and 5 1/2" deep.

Regards....Mike

Mike, thats really super, particulary the banding. Trouble is, every time you show one of your projects, it just reminds me how bad I am :(
I know -practice ...practice ....practice :)
John

Mike, stunning. What a super piece of sycamore too. 8)

Hmm, practice eh? I wonder how many millennia I'd need... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Great bowl Mike. It gives us learners something to aim at. I must admit it is very rewarding to see wood take form on the lathe. I hope one day to produce a work of art like yours.
Alan

Really stunning. (I have to admit to not really liking "turned" stuff in general, but everything you've posted has been really spot on). If I could afford to commision a piece, you'd be the one to get it!

Adam

Hi Mike

Another amazing piece of work. I just love everything that you do.

Thank you for taking the time to post it as an inspiration to us all.

Cheers
Neil

Mike, a gorgeous bowl. I am very impressed with the proportions, it looks 'right'.
Maybe I should set the lathe up in the workshop and have a go......

Mike,

Another lovely piece. I just had a look at all your items in the gallery, and I am very impressed, not only by your technical expertise, but also by your eye for form and shape.

I continue to aspire to 1/10 your skill! Still a long way to go though sadly :(

Hi All,

Many thanks for the generous comments, I personally feel I am very fortunate as I enjoy going to work everyday.

The work I do CAN be achieved by any turner that aspires to it, a lot of my inspiration comes from the work of potters and I often visit their workshops and look at their work in galleries to see what shapes and styles can be turned in wood by pushing the boundries.

Thanks again.

Regards....Mike

Back