New bowl added to gallery, rescued timber.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutting Crew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Following on from the post by Mudman about saving timber from the London Plane tree outside his office, I posted the photograph to try and show that liitle has to be thrown away if you're a turner or there's one near by, most wood will be welcomed.

“Contour Lines” was turned from a piece of olive ash that was being thrown out at Craft Supplies in Millers Dale.

The blank was full of splits and on the surface looked awful. no one wanted it and it was taken of the shelves ready to be thrown away, luckily for me I rescued it.

I turned the timber as part of a demonstration trying to show that you can save most pieces of timber. The walls were turned to 2mm thickness and the bowl was finished with Chestnut's melamine lacquer which really brought out the beautiful colours that emerged as the turning progressed.

The bowl measures 9" in diameter by 5" deep. The top edge and original splits were turned into a feature and scorched by careful use of a burning tool.

Regards....Mike

Mike,

That is another wonderful looking piece you have turned and the tale behind the wood makes it special. Thanks for posting your work, I have never turned but you do tempt me :shock:

Hi MMD,

In all the bowl took about 30 minutes to turn, it was done as part of a demonstration.

As time was at a premium, the finish was Chestnut's acrylic sanding sealer followed by their satin top coat, both applied from aerosols.

Following Chestnut's instructions, the final buffing was done a week or so later, after the top coat had cured.

Regards....Mike

Wowee - 30 Minutes!!! :shock:
It took me twice that long to do a plain round vice handle :roll:
Ive got a long way to go, still Im looking forward to attempting something along those lines one day, regards, MMD.

Back