New Bootfair Woodie...the slope steepens!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
A while back I promised I would not go down the woodie slope...it really is the most enticing slippery steep bugga!

So..after a Tyzack plough...a skew rebate and a toothed scraping smoother....I have now to admit I may have hit the black run!

Today I got this beauty...

DSC_0919.JPG

Now...not being an expert on these multifaceted shave monsters...I have no idea what this one is for...so PLEASE someone tell me...

DSC_0922.JPG

All I know is that it has two irons...one skew...and one twin rabbit-eared scoring slicing things on the vertical iron.

DSC_0924.JPG

It also has a depth stop.

I think the maker is T.Rafton or Trafton....as that appears to be the maker's mark.

DSC_0922mark-001.JPG

...but again I am unsure of this.

DSC_0925.JPG

But it really is a beauty and for only £2 it might be a slippery slope but it sure is cheaper than infills!!! :mrgreen:

Cheers guys and gals...any help gratefully received.

Jim

So...I'm sitting there having me cuppa...and something's not right! Of course! The front wedge is in backwards!

Some people....I dunno! Ok so lots of delicate prying later and some regrinding the main iron to remove the Grim Bevel....not too bad on this one..a mini Grim...and sharpening it up a tad produced this result...

DSC_0935.JPG

Removing the front iron revealed that it had nicker...or rather a nicker iron...so sharpened them up a bit..more later...set the main cutter to coarse and away we go...

DSC_0934.JPG

Fast curly shavings and a nicely pre-nicked trench....

DSC_0937.JPG

....in a matter of seconds! And a depth stop to prevent you going mad! :oops:

I think I could be falling in love with the arboreal beasties! :mrgreen:

Jim

Dado trenching plane Jim 8)
The names stamped twice so probably not the maker.
Just looking for a previous post regards these :wink:
Front wedge round wrong way :roll:

Andy

Edit... across the grain use

The makers name looks to have been removed judging by the shadow in the toe.

You noticed the wedge then :wink: :lol:

Nice one!

Like the other Andy has said, any repeated name is not likely to be a maker, but the style of stamp is old, so your 1/2" dado plane is probably early nineteenth century.

Try using it across the grain for cutting housings and you'll see how nice it is! Clamp or tack down a batten; draw the plane backwards once to sever the fibres, and work away. Just right for bookcases, stepladders etc.

Philly posted a good video of one when he first started making them.

[If you do decide you don't like it, I could shuffle the others a bit tighter together on the shelf and make a little bit of room...]

D'ya know..I feel like a total novice with this new slope...it feels really strange and with all these experts chipping in...I keep saying DOH! Of course! (homer)

But I am learning and can tell right away that I will find this particular slope fascinating....

But I haven't been standing still myself this afternoon....in between polishing Efrem (my new toy)...I move my Goodman to the fore Andy...and found this....

DSC_0919johngreenmark1.JPG

Now this is definitely the maker as per picture on p80 of the 2nd edition.

And the bio.....

Green, John P Coneystreet....................................York -1774-
Micklegate......................................York - 1807-

Just trying to remember the nomenclature I.Green (zb,rect;8) if I remember rightly is zigzag boarder rectangular...

Anyway late 18c early 19c as you said. Amazing!

I think that's what makes it special for me...that I can make a housing...crisp and clean with shavings so perfect over 200 years after the plane was made..... :shock:

I can only hope that my tools last that long!

Jim

John Green used at least three different marks, but the stepped zig zag border stamp on your plane is the one most often encountered. by the way, its great to see someone using wooden planes, but please be careful, it can be very addictive!!!!. if you want more info on john Green marks, check out my web site at http://oldwoodplanes.co.uk/

mouldy plane":2kwre007 said:
John Green used at least three different marks, but the stepped zig zag border stamp on your plane is the one most often encountered. by the way, its great to see someone using wooden planes, but please be careful, it can be very addictive!!!!. if you want more info on john Green marks, check out my web site at http://oldwoodplanes.co.uk/

I was looking at the rectangular mark just now Richard....on your website which is a superb source of information.

I must admit I was intrigued by the old woodies a while back but couldn't get them to work at all so sold them on. Since my sharpening skills have improved recently, I think that getting the irons right has changed my view of these things...as I can make them work fairly easily now...though some can be tricky!

I tend to go for the really old ones...the research interests me more. Pre 1900 for sure. It is the fact that so many old examples are still surfacing that has started me on this slope...a fascinating subject indeed.

Of course....I will gravitate to infills more readily if a choice were to be made! :wink:

Jim

Have you already changed your name to Jammy? A John Green dado plane in good working order for £2.00!!!!

AndyT":j4qzsio3 said:
Have you already changed your name to Jammy? A John Green dado plane in good working order for £2.00!!!!

Ah...well you know me Andy....I might not know what it is but I know it is! :mrgreen: :wink:

Another bootfair tomorrow....we shall see.... 8)

5am start though! And I have to be at work at 3pm! :cry:

Jim

Latest posts

Back