• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

New blade for a Stanley 4 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Chico

Established Member
Reaction score
Lookng for a new blade, orig. is poor and heavily pitted. I do not want a thicker blade as I do not want to open the throat. Standard and new is my criteria but struggling to find anything, really don't mind fitting another make as long as it is is standard thickness.

Suggestions welcome.

Chico

Established Member
Reaction score
I have one, they are much thicker. Unless you know of another version ?

Chico

Established Member
Reaction score
Phil, that is very generous of you. Surely it should be a charity of your choice? PM inbound.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Packed to go, should be in the post tomorrow. You choose the charity - I only say small because I object to paying CEOs hundreds of thousands p.a.

David C

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think you will find one as thin as Stanley.

I recommend a Hock blade from Classic Handtools, I have been using one for years, VG.

Only 50%thicker than Stanley, 2.4mm, fitting should be no problem.
David Charlesworth

spb

Established Member
Reaction score
For future reference, Ray Iles also does a thinner variant designed as a drop-in replacement, for use without widening the throat - look for part numbers with an S on the end. I have one of them in an old No. 4, with no modification to the plane required.

For the 4 1/2, it's https://www.workshopheaven.com/ray-iles ... -inch.html.

Cheshirechappie

Established Member
Reaction score
Some rummaging around the interwebs suggest that whilst Stanley still supply 2" replacement irons, they no longer supply 2 3/8" irons. However, Irwin Record do still supply both sizes, and an internet search for "Irwin Record Plane Iron" brings up several sources, though at greater cost than examples from generous forumites ....

Hornbeam

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently fitted a laminated blade into a Record No 6 from
https://www.workshopheaven.com/tsunesab ... 2-3-8.html
Takes a very good edge and holds it well.
Didnt need any major adjustments to fit. Did need quite a bit of flattening on the back of teh blade.
I also upgraded the chipbreaker to a much more substantial one by modifying an old one to accept the end of the depth adjuster yoke which also helps

Chico

Established Member
Reaction score
Huge thanks to Phil, the 4 1/2 iron just dropped through the letterbox and is sweet. Always amazed how forums are so helpful and considering Phil doesn't know me from Adam, how generous many are.