New blade for a Stanley 4 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chico

Established Member
Reaction score
Lookng for a new blade, orig. is poor and heavily pitted. I do not want a thicker blade as I do not want to open the throat. Standard and new is my criteria but struggling to find anything, really don't mind fitting another make as long as it is is standard thickness.

Suggestions welcome.

I don't think you will find one as thin as Stanley.

I recommend a Hock blade from Classic Handtools, I have been using one for years, VG.

Only 50%thicker than Stanley, 2.4mm, fitting should be no problem.
David Charlesworth

Some rummaging around the interwebs suggest that whilst Stanley still supply 2" replacement irons, they no longer supply 2 3/8" irons. However, Irwin Record do still supply both sizes, and an internet search for "Irwin Record Plane Iron" brings up several sources, though at greater cost than examples from generous forumites ....

I have recently fitted a laminated blade into a Record No 6 from
https://www.workshopheaven.com/tsunesab ... 2-3-8.html
Takes a very good edge and holds it well.
Didnt need any major adjustments to fit. Did need quite a bit of flattening on the back of teh blade.
I also upgraded the chipbreaker to a much more substantial one by modifying an old one to accept the end of the depth adjuster yoke which also helps

Huge thanks to Phil, the 4 1/2 iron just dropped through the letterbox and is sweet. Always amazed how forums are so helpful and considering Phil doesn't know me from Adam, how generous many are.

Latest posts

Back