New bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger Nixon":exs2fysr said:
...luring me out of my old tools habits and into the Church of the Upward Bevel? (My LV LA Jack arrived yesterday)
:lol:
Halleluja, Brother! You is born again! :lol:

Whaaat! After luring me out of my old tools habits and into the Church of the Upward Bevel? (My LV LA Jack arrived yesterday)
Halleluja, Brother! You is born again!
So Roger, when's the baptism (when will you have an opportunity to use the thing?)? Or have you?

But in general, speaking as one who lives mostly in an old tool hell, you do suck on the brace/bits thing <g>!

Take care, Mike

I've been away for awhile and the plane was on my porch when I got home last night. I opened the box and looked it over and then put it away. It will probably be weekend before I get a chance to play with it.

Roger Nixon":1beytz7g said:
I picked up this boxed set of Greenlee Irwin pattern bits with the 8" and 12" 923 braces (I already had a mint 10" 923) and a few extras (expansive bit, countersink, bit extension, etc) for $18.

I can feel the suction from here, that is one hell of a gloat. =P~

Thanks, all.
Getting back to evie's bench. Narrow benches can be very effective.
This one by Scott Grandstaff was in "The Workbench Book"

Jr. Strasil's wokbench is unconventional looking but handles a variety of operations very well.

bench.jpg

Hey, what a cool picture of a bench! Thank you for posting. I've never seen dog holes on the front of a bench before. I can really imagine whacking my shins on protruding work, though.

From the discussion here, I now perceive that it is also the LENGTH of my bench that will be a problem at less than 1 meter. But you know what, I'm learning, I'm having fun, and I'm going to live with it! The vises arrive today, according to Ms Axminster. Not that I'm ready to attach them or anything, but still.

After my first pathetic mortises, I have indeed started drilling from both sides. Also, I remembered to mark the knife line first :oops:, and that helped a lot.

Didn't do anything yesterday as the WIND was astonishing here in London and being outside was not as nice as usual.

Thank you all so much for your support.

evie

evie":3jsb7pec said:
From the discussion here, I now perceive that it is also the LENGTH of my bench that will be a problem at less than 1 meter.
evie

Evie, although I plenty more space than you, I still work out of a small workshop. Due to having other things on my workbench, my working area is only 1m wide (at best). With such a small workbench, there is no space for tools - you'll be knocking them off endlessly, worst of all, is if you have a concrete floor

The best solution I've seen is to make small "working" tool box, which is nothing more than a cube about 20cm on each side (of old bits of plywood etc), with some holes drilled in the top/slots or whatever, and then it is hung from the ceiling of the workshop - just up and out of the way of the workbench. That way, you always have a hammer/mallet/chisel/knife/ruler to hand. All the bigger items are probaly stored in a proper toolbox.

Adam

It's a good idea. The wall behind where the workbench will be is brick - it might well be possible to put a little rack or something there. Otherwise I am considering making a little simple home for tools under the workbench. Haven't thought much about this yet, probably it's a good time though.

evie

Well, mostly - I've been killing myself over exams, hopefully will be back during Christmas! My bench is sitting in bis on the balcony still, and hubby is looking fretful.

thanks for posting!

evie

:D nice Alf expensive but nice i wonder if they do a postal catalog :?:

just found the download part 8) :tool: rack

martyn

Back