New bee

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyturner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I am known by most people as Woody After a lifetime of wood work and wood turning I have decided to have a go at scroll work the last time I done anything like fret work was with a hand fretsaw when the kids were little anyway My wife got me a Scheppach deco flex just to try and see if I enjoy doing it I have found that its not the best but still a pretty good little machine apart from trying to fit the pin-less blades for internal cuts I need another hand but I have found out that Axminster do replacement fittings which I may try I have just cut a unicorn from 12mm corrian and lots of bits for the Grandkids to decorate for christmas and some serpent pen blanks really enjoying it I'm looking forward to learning from you more experienced people from a 72 year old student of this fine art

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 746
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 746
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 746
  • 309.JPG
    309.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 746
  • 310.JPG
    310.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 746
Hi Woody. A very warm welcome to the scrolling section. Your work is simply beautiful, very well made indeed. The problem with the pinless blades and the appropriate clamps is an on going issue on here and has been for a very long time. It is one of the problems with the cheaper saws. There are many members on here who have over come the problem and I am sure they will share with you how they got round the problem. If you want to know anything just ask, there are a great bunch of guys on here who are willing to give the benefit of their experience.

Welcome, Woody to the forum.

Looking at your work, I don’t think student is quite the correct term. :wink:

Take care from a 71 year old, boy.

Chris R.

Hello Woody,

Welcome to the forum, all the information you will need is here for the asking so just ask away. :)

I started scrolling with an Axminster AWVFS saw, very similar to the Jet, Record, Scheppach etc. Now own an Excalibur EX21 and love it!

With regard to pinless blade clamps if you can fit the Axi ones on your saw then I would do so, also change the Chinese plastic steel bolts for stainless steel ones, they are a lot stronger and the cap heads don't round off so easily, M4 x 15mm long if my memory serves me right.

If you are doing internal fretwork cuts then make a zero clearance table insert to support your work right up to the blade. The plastic one supplied as standard is thin and bendy and has big gaps for the blade, not what you want for fretwork.

Also take off the side cover opposite the motor, it makes access to the bottom blade clamp infinitely easier, just remember to keep your fingers out when its' running!!

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Dave.

ardenwoodcraft":31vgj4hy said:
Hello Woody,

Welcome to the forum, all the information you will need is here for the asking so just ask away. :)

I started scrolling with an Axminster AWVFS saw, very similar to the Jet, Record, Scheppach etc. Now own an Excalibur EX21 and love it!

With regard to pinless blade clamps if you can fit the Axi ones on your saw then I would do so, also change the Chinese plastic steel bolts for stainless steel ones, they are a lot stronger and the cap heads don't round off so easily, M4 x 15mm long if my memory serves me right.

If you are doing internal fretwork cuts then make a zero clearance table insert to support your work right up to the blade. The plastic one supplied as standard is thin and bendy and has big gaps for the blade, not what you want for fretwork.

Also take off the side cover opposite the motor, it makes access to the bottom blade clamp infinitely easier, just remember to keep your fingers out when its' running!!

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Dave.
Thanks for the tips Dave the guard was the first thing to go on the first day I used it I was thinking of making a plate to fit over the table with a small hole in it and fix it on the table with double sided tape or I have some 6mm ally that I use to make inserts for my band saw we will see as I progress

Is that standard practice, to remove the side housing? It would save a lot of time, I have to say. Does anyone know if I can change out the hex grub screw on the top clamp of a Sealey for something quicker, like a wing bolt?

jamiecrawford":140tcb83 said:
Is that standard practice, to remove the side housing? It would save a lot of time, I have to say. Does anyone know if I can change out the hex grub screw on the top clamp of a Sealey for something quicker, like a wing bolt?

Hi, don't know about standard practice, it's each to their own I think. I found that it made access to the bottom clamp so much easier and most scrollers as far as I know tend to change blades or go into fretwork entry holes with the saw switched off. Not sure it can be done with the saw running!! #-o

It's a case of making a bottom end scroll saw usable and able to do the type of cutting you need it for.

It is also a case of making your hobby enjoyable using the machine you have, or putting you off for life and never wanting to go near a scroll saw again!!

Back