New Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. I have a Scheppach Basa 3.0h vario. I can’t compare with others as it’s the only one I’ve had. But seems to do the job ok. I cut mainly wood but also metal (with the correct blade).
The blade guides are a bit odd though. See photo. I’d prefer ball races. May modify it in the future.

It also has an extendible handle and built in rear wheels that allow you to move it easily. It’s quite heavy though.
Had it six years now with no problems. Cheers. View attachment 127606
What motor does it have? That's precisely what I need but I can't find anywhere in Europe that'll sell it to Portugal.

What motor does it have? That's precisely what I need but I can't find anywhere in Europe that'll sell it to Portugal.
Hi. It looks like 0.8kw. See photo.
I have very limited room and need to rotate it when doing very long pieces. See photos. Quite easy with the wheels and retractable handle.
I’ve set it up using the Snodgrass video on YouTube. Also bought a small collection of blades. But usually use 3/8” 3 TPI.

Attachments

• 98F1D3E7-37D5-48B0-BB9E-A286975E6E76.jpeg
    98F1D3E7-37D5-48B0-BB9E-A286975E6E76.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 82FAF6E1-F771-4F30-9475-5D89DB014EF5.jpeg
    82FAF6E1-F771-4F30-9475-5D89DB014EF5.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 24
  • C3D333E8-6666-4CEB-A101-9AA1109A2E2D.jpeg
    C3D333E8-6666-4CEB-A101-9AA1109A2E2D.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 23
  • C9B44877-B6AB-4630-AA5C-09F56D03B37F.jpeg
    C9B44877-B6AB-4630-AA5C-09F56D03B37F.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 23
domingos,
I have bought a lot of stuff from Germany direct.....
there's never a problem with language, well English anyway.....
I'm sure if u ask the factory or dealer they will ship it to u.....
they will be boxed from the factory anyway, so a small job to assemble....prob just the table n stand....
ASk them to check it over for you and rebox it.....
Plenty of transport around and you wont be the first to ask for a pallet delivery...
I would be suprised if it was anymore than €100 for shipping...and about 5 days to get to you.....
You just have to ask, if your mind is made up.....
I have had Sheppach in the past and found their stuff good...still have a little saw bench......
Might want to check it's not a rebadged Chinese effort tho.....(ask here)
hope this helps....good luck.....

domingos,
I have bought a lot of stuff from Germany direct.....
there's never a problem with language, well English anyway.....
I'm sure if u ask the factory or dealer they will ship it to u.....
they will be boxed from the factory anyway, so a small job to assemble....prob just the table n stand....
ASk them to check it over for you and rebox it.....
Plenty of transport around and you wont be the first to ask for a pallet delivery...
I would be suprised if it was anymore than €100 for shipping...and about 5 days to get to you.....
You just have to ask, if your mind is made up.....
I have had Sheppach in the past and found their stuff good...still have a little saw bench......
Might want to check it's not a rebadged Chinese effort tho.....(ask here)
hope this helps....good luck.....
That's precisely what I'm going to be doing. Emailing them.

I've emailed them through 3 sources. Let's see what comes up. Hope that at least they should answer.

Might try at the very least, see if you can get a cast iron wheeled machine for the same money, as Sheppach are one of the only brands remaining who make lightweight alloy wheeled machines.

By the way I discovered why there isn't a representative here in Portugal. Apparently there's a company called Cevik that basically is responsible for Scheppach sales here in Spain and Portugal. Strange thing is I visited their site and the closest model they have at cevik is a Scheppach
170MM 750W SCHEPPACH SC-HBS400
Does anyone know anything about this model?

By the way I discovered why there isn't a representative here in Portugal. Apparently there's a company called Cevik that basically is responsible for Scheppach sales here in Spain and Portugal. Strange thing is I visited their site and the closest model they have at cevik is a Scheppach
Don't know what the 400 refers to, it's usually the diameter of the wheels
but not so in this case.
The machine has a very large footprint, bigger than the 20" machine I've pictured, but has tiny alloy wheels.
Much like the Elektra Beckum piece of junk in there now, which is pathetic, no point in having a fence on the thing, as it will drift either side of the line.
(that's coming from someone who has a large collection of liddle tools)

Maybe have a look at whats out there before splashing out a heap of money on something which you cant use the rip fence on, and have to freehand.

Good idea to actually see someone ripping on a machine of this size,
99% won't show you the cut, only the start and the end, as you wouldn't watch the machine screaming as the blade is unable to resist deflection and dives into the thrust guides. (correct beam tension avoids this, but you need a saw which can handle that)

This brand might be worth looking at, might be the best value saw at the moment
Is anything out there for the same money?

That's if you can't wait for something decent and cheap to crop up.
Likely some nicer used Italian machines in Portugal which could be got cheap.
Centauro, ACM, Sagittario, Meber, and so on.
A cheap VFD is only a hundred quid, and a tenner to get set up "all in"
so would likely be much cheaper, if you've got the time.

Good luck

Last edited:
Domingos, bom dia! I'm living in Portugal and oddly enough looking for a bandsaw/serra fita also as want to cut up blanks for turning. I'm probably looking to spend max €600 but there are a few 2nd hand machines on Olx and Custo Justo. Have you looked? Ok a lot are 3 phase but I think that they look much better and robust than the new one's. I've read some things about the Makita lb 1200 having vibration issues. Let me know how you get on as I'm still looking myself. There is a company near me in Gaia that sell new and 2nd hand carpentry machines that I'm hopefully going to visit this week. They have a Centurian bandsaw for €600 that I'm keen to see. Good luck with everything!

Just to add, I've fortunately got 3 phase power so can either go single or 3 phase but as Ttrees mentioned above you can get a VFD. I've seen a N'Ra bandsaw for €600 that looks promising in Olx but haven't viewed it yet. An Italian make I think.

Just to add, I've fortunately got 3 phase power so can either go single or 3 phase but as Ttrees mentioned above you can get a VFD. I've seen a N'Ra bandsaw for €600 that looks promising in Olx but haven't viewed it yet. An Italian make I think.
Centauro or Aggazani, both for 600, quite the pickle!

Centauro or Aggazani, both for 600, quite the pickle!
So you think that they are good deal's for €600? I haven't seen either yet but the photos look promising. I looked at an old bandsaw recently but didn't have a brand name. Unfortunately didn't have any sort of guard/protection for the blade and the guy said that it has come off before! God knows where it could end up so I didn't feel too safe using it. Didn't see it working either but the blade wasn't tracking very well on the wheel.

If you can see both then yes.
I'd say all being equal (both have fences) and depending on the condition the Centauro might be marginally better, and maybe a surer bet should you be worried about a lemon, but may have less resaw height.
The table might have a decent depth slot, compared to the aggi?
The tires on the Centauro can be swapped out in a few mins compared to the old standard vulcanized real rubber ones which you can dress instead of change out is likely on the aggi.

Wheel bearings and belt standard, 30 somethin quid would sort that.

Fancy toolfree GL 456 guides are interchangable but eye wateringly expensive from the likes of Scott and Sargeant.
You might not need them, (bar, a rear thrust guide) if you're resawing with a hefty blade, and not running narrow ones, as these saws have flat tires and the wide blades stay put, and don't walk back into the thrust, so less wear and noise.

I'd be on the lookout for anything strange, my Friday lemon doesn't sit well,
this isn't uncommon to see a tippy machine from any brand, plenty of youtube reviews showing this, but not intentionally.
I'm guessing is the reason why there was some strange stuff going on with my machine.
Two fingers is enough to tell, if its rocking, I'd shoot my eye down the guidepost to check for parallel with the column.

Apart from the Centauro compact, I see some machines have smaller bottom wheels, which looks like a "fix" on a machine which normally comes with equal sized wheels.
Could check tensioning system, should be smooth, and non skewed.
Check motor works, dual voltage (240v) if wanting to use a VFD,

That's about all I can think of.

Sounds nearly like you guys could share transport should one be much smaller than the other, like a wee S45 for instance.

All the best
Tom

I looked at an old bandsaw recently but didn't have a brand name. Unfortunately didn't have any sort of guard/protection for the blade and the guy said that it has come off before! God knows where it could end up so I didn't feel too safe using it.

Aye, an enclosed saw blade makes sense.
Dangerous of area bandsaw .jpg

Short video on why

If you can see both then yes.
I'd say all being equal (both have fences) and depending on the condition the Centauro might be marginally better, and maybe a surer bet should you be worried about a lemon, but may have less resaw height.
The table might have a decent depth slot, compared to the aggi?
The tires on the Centauro can be swapped out in a few mins compared to the old standard vulcanized real rubber ones which you can dress instead of change out is likely on the aggi.

Wheel bearings and belt standard, 30 somethin quid would sort that.

Fancy toolfree GL 456 guides are interchangable but eye wateringly expensive from the likes of Scott and Sargeant.
You might not need them, (bar, a rear thrust guide) if you're resawing with a hefty blade, and not running narrow ones, as these saws have flat tires and the wide blades stay put, and don't walk back into the thrust, so less wear and noise.

I'd be on the lookout for anything strange, my Friday lemon doesn't sit well,
this isn't uncommon to see a tippy machine from any brand, plenty of youtube reviews showing this, but not intentionally.
I'm guessing is the reason why there was some strange stuff going on with my machine.
Two fingers is enough to tell, if its rocking, I'd shoot my eye down the guidepost to check for parallel with the column.

Apart from the Centauro compact, I see some machines have smaller bottom wheels, which looks like a "fix" on a machine which normally comes with equal sized wheels.
Could check tensioning system, should be smooth, and non skewed.
Check motor works, dual voltage (240v) if wanting to use a VFD,

That's about all I can think of.

Sounds nearly like you guys could share transport should one be much smaller than the other, like a wee S45 for instance.

All the best
Tom
Tom. Many thanks for info. I'll copy a photo of the Centauro. Can't show the N'Ra however. Don't know what models or height of cut however.

Attachments

• IMG0270.jpg
    IMG0270.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 6
That's a steal if the machine is in good nick.
Appears to be a CO500, but could be a 600.
(Edit:
I think so, as seems the column is narrower on the C600 compared to ACM and many others , and heavier gauge used instead, hence my earlier presumption of it being a 500)
The CO's are likely the best machine you can buy, full stop.
Most of the NRA's I've seen are 600mm machines, and maybe 50kgs lighter than the equivalent CO 600
(not looked for a NRA 500)

Subtle things on these machines like adjust ability of the top wheel L/R and in/out
think the guidepost may be adjustable on the CO's if someone can clarify that, cant find a pic of the back to see set screws.
Big threads to tension blade makes for just as fast as the quick tensioner bells on far eastern saws.

A lovely machine in that pic, looks like its had an easier life than this Centauro compact that's being going for 750 on the bay, used in a metal factory and hasn't been taken.

s-l500.jpg

I'd guess the 500 might be more sought after being a perfect size for some.
Not seen an Italian 500 saw in the flesh, but if it's anything like the newish Felder,
say in manor woods iroko video, quite a bit larger than the far eastern 20"
(A 510 machine IIRC if they haven't changed to the standard heavier line 40 series)
which might explain a spacious cabinet, compared to the wheel crammed in there,
smaller column, and small table.

Last edited:
Back