New Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domingos

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there.
I'm looking to buy a bandsaw up to 800+/-50 Euros but can't decide what it's best, to go with an older style industrial triple phase +vfd bandsaw or to go with the makita band saw lb1200f. The footprint is important as my workshop is small but I can't find any information abou what there is out there. Unfortunately due to Brexit I can't order from England. But I saw a more powerful Cevik bandsaw that seemeed interesting. But I don't know the brand. What advice can you share?
Any other models you'd recommend? I saw someone mentioning the Scheppach Basa 3.0 with a 800w engine. Is that enough oomph?

Last edited:
I would always encourage buying a used machine because you can get more machine for your money, often better quality and if you buy well, won’t loose money on it. It’s also better for the planet!

I would say that a band saw is a pretty simple machine; someone competent to use one should be competent enough to assess the condition of a used machine, and probably to carry out most work required (with obvious caution with electrical aspects).

Of course, I understand that in a professional environment, the priority may be output, and so a new machine (in immediately available) may be the prefer

I recently (4 months ago) took delivery of a Holzprofi HBS430M. Made in Taiwan but don’t let that put you off. I’ve found it to be high quality build, accurate and easily adjusted, powerful enough for my needs (1.5kw motor). It has 430mm (17 inch) cast iron wheels and a max depth of cut of 300mm. It rips and resaws dense tropical hardwoods straight and clean without any issues. More expensive than your budget but I paid quite a bit less than the advertised price. Contact Christophe Jully (Holzprofi France) for a quote and see what he can offer. Well worth the investment if your budget can stretch a bit.

I use Tuffsaws m42 blades btw. Having quality sharp blades is crucial to the performance of any saw.

Bandsaws are all about power. For that budget you will get plenty of bandsaws in the 750 watt range. This is deliberate - they are simply not designed to cut anything over 2" with any kind of efficiency. If you want to cut curves in plywood they are fine but don't expect to re-saw timber unless the motor is 1500 watt +. I have two bandsaws , a Hammer N4400 with a 4 HP motor and an old Multico that I upgraded to 2 HP for finer work. I would go for the most powerful bandsaw you can afford.

Made in Taiwan but don’t let that put you off. I’ve found it to be high quality build,
Looking at that machine it has a lot in common with Record machines and many others, which are all made in the east as well so there should not be any issues with quality and it has nice top and bottom bearing blade guides as well. The actual fence looks identical to the Record as do the two side panel knobs, it only has a single lower side panel whereas the Record has a two part lower side panel and the fence moves on an extrusion rather than a cylindrical rod like Record but I would say it is as good as any other in this type and range so just make sure it can meet your cutting depth.

I can't help with what particular bandsaw to buy but when it comes to an older machine your knowledge & experience can often play a big part, I use to buy all my machinery spares or repair because I had a background that allowed me to take pretty much any machine & rebuild it. Now days I would rather just make things so tend to buy new. If you don't have the skills to fix or maintain an older machine or you don't want to spend your time doing that then buy new & get a warranty

I can't help with what particular bandsaw to buy but when it comes to an older machine your knowledge & experience can often play a big part, I use to buy all my machinery spares or repair because I had a background that allowed me to take pretty much any machine & rebuild it. Now days I would rather just make things so tend to buy new. If you don't have the skills to fix or maintain an older machine or you don't want to spend your time doing that then buy new & get a warranty

Agree with this Martin. I might have considered a well maintained second hand saw if I was in the UK or mainland Europe but wouldn’t have risked anything that needed much work as I don’t have the skills or time to devote to it. In any case, out here in French Guiana second hand woodworking machines are very scarce. So getting a new bandsaw with a warranty from a French company with a reputation for excellent after-sales support made sense. Even if I did have to eat the transatlantic shipping costs!

Looking at that machine it has a lot in common with Record machines and many others, which are all made in the east as well so there should not be any issues with quality and it has nice top and bottom bearing blade guides as well. The actual fence looks identical to the Record as do the two side panel knobs, it only has a single lower side panel whereas the Record has a two part lower side panel and the fence moves on an extrusion rather than a cylindrical rod like Record but I would say it is as good as any other in this type and range so just make sure it can meet your cutting depth.

I’ve honestly been super impressed with how well it cuts. Took care to set it up and good blades obviously help. Don’t have experience of bigger pro/industrial saws but this has met or surpassed my expectations so far. Haven’t tried to resaw to capacity (300mm) yet but have had no problems at ~200mm. Have some mango logs that I’m hoping to slice up into boards. That should be a good test. Need to build a sled first.

Are u in Portugal....?
I believe there's a good strong facebook selling pages out there.....
U may have to join a few to sell but I;m sure looking is OK/free.....
We have bought a lot of mixed stuff from the same forum....
Here we have agood supply from local Greeks/expats but u also have Spain as a close neighbour.....
Look at expats in the area, u may be surprised.....
def buy used especially if u can see it working, much better value.....
Unless someone in the family will send u a Tuff Saw blade, Ian won't export.....
But here we get our blade made from Bacho (Swedish) M42 steel...for the tougher jobs..
or ordinary HSS is stocked as well...made up to ur size just for the length of blade used.....
look at the Bacho web site for stockists/dealers....
like here I'm sure they'll post....
I have a good friend joiner returning to the UK from Spain but I know his bandsaw was sold last week....
BUT people are always moving around or back.....
PS, I moved a Wadkin RS wood lathe 1/2 a ton plus, from the UK to Crete just before Brexit it cost €225 on a euro pallet....the same firm now have a fixed rate for customs and duty for similar machines/size/weight at €40 plus transport cost.....the lathe was dropped off at their transport depot, UK then on to me....no stress at all....
I'm sure there will be similar near u......
good luck...

Agree with this Martin. I might have considered a well maintained second hand saw if I was in the UK or mainland Europe but wouldn’t have risked anything that needed much work as I don’t have the skills or time to devote to it. In any case, out here in French Guiana second hand woodworking machines are very scarce. So getting a new bandsaw with a warranty from a French company with a reputation for excellent after-sales support made sense. Even if I did have to eat the transatlantic shipping costs!
I think that beauty is a bit out of my budget but thanks anyway..

Last edited:
Are u in Portugal....?
I believe there's a good strong facebook selling pages out there.....
U may have to join a few to sell but I;m sure looking is OK/free.....
We have bought a lot of mixed stuff from the same forum....
Here we have agood supply from local Greeks/expats but u also have Spain as a close neighbour.....
Look at expats in the area, u may be surprised.....
def buy used especially if u can see it working, much better value.....
Unless someone in the family will send u a Tuff Saw blade, Ian won't export.....
But here we get our blade made from Bacho (Swedish) M42 steel...for the tougher jobs..
or ordinary HSS is stocked as well...made up to ur size just for the length of blade used.....
look at the Bacho web site for stockists/dealers....
like here I'm sure they'll post....
I have a good friend joiner returning to the UK from Spain but I know his bandsaw was sold last week....
BUT people are always moving around or back.....
PS, I moved a Wadkin RS wood lathe 1/2 a ton plus, from the UK to Crete just before Brexit it cost €225 on a euro pallet....the same firm now have a fixed rate for customs and duty for similar machines/size/weight at €40 plus transport cost.....the lathe was dropped off at their transport depot, UK then on to me....no stress at all....
I'm sure there will be similar near u......
good luck...
I have a couple tuffsaw blades for a bench model. They're the bees knees. I live near a city that is the furniture capital of Portugal so I'm going there next month to see if I can score something with a friend of mine who's a carpenter.My biggest fear is that they're all triple phase and I would prefer single if possible. There's also a company there that buys them restores them and then ships and sells them in Africa. Maybe I can find something there.

Don't forget you often need space around the thing regardless how small it is.
I know. That's what worries me and though I can probably find one of those enormous old monsters of bandsaws and restore it to work. Moving it in my workshop would be prohibitive.

I think that beauty is a bit out of my budget but thanks anyway..

Sure. I paid 1350 Euros for mine. Plus shipping and import taxes. The price indicated on the website is definitely negotiable though I think prices have gone up since I placed the order.

I think I would be well with the
Cevik CP28-194C, makita band saw lb1200f(but I've been reading they shake a lot) or the Scheppach Basa 3.0 (which I can't find anyone that sells it to Portugal)

What r ya goin cuttin?
i.e curves, ripping or resawing.
Might as well ask if its lengths of timber, or stuff for small trinket boxes,

Are you going to be moving it frequently, or is it the getting the machine into the workshop that is the issue?

A compact 20" machine would likely make sense, and still be the same footprint of
a smaller thing on legs.
Not a premium saw, but a far eastern 20" as there's a big difference.

Tom

Last edited:
What r ya goin cuttin?
i.e curves, ripping or resawing.
Might as well ask if its lengths of timber, or stuff for small trinket boxes,

Are you going to be moving it frequently, or is it the getting the machine into the workshop that is the issue?

A compact 20" machine would likely make sense, and still be the same footprint of
a smaller thing on legs.
Not a premium saw, but a far eastern 20" as there's a big difference.

Tom

Well, nothing wider than 80 cm will get into my workshop. I do cut curves and sometimes thicker stuff but if it's very big I'll always have a friend who to ask for help (has a huge Midas one)

If that's the only issue, I think you would struggle to find a machine which wouldn't fit in through the door, as all bandsaws are quite narrow when the table is taken off,
which you would be doing anyway.
Not checked mine, a 24" machine, but would say the base is about 20" which I think is the widest point, and at the motor, but nothing that is too large to get through a normal door.
As you can see a 20" modern far eastern I had, which has a small table....
Checking for coplanar .jpg

has practically the same footprint as a smaller machine which is just a curve cutter
or for use freehand sawing to the line, as you can't really use the fence for anything more than an inch thick stock with a wee saw like below.

I think a machine which can reliably use the fence, instead of freehanding to a line is worth looking for.
You need a decent blade to resist deflection, (beam tension) and that requires a decent tensioning system and frame to tension any sort of blade which will be any sort of comparison compared to say a tablesaw which might be a big consideration should one decide to go that direction.

EB 315.JPG

Something 200kg or as close to it at the very least, is what I'd be looking for, light enough to shift about the place easily.
One can move a machine about like this simply, as they can be pivoted easier compared to something which is half the weight and heavy everywhere.
With table off, one can pivot the column onto the floor with one hand.
Someone was worried about this before on another forum, and I was working on my machine at the time, so I made an unplanned amusing video of me lugging my 24" around, before doing things the easy way, which could have been made much easier starting with a thicker chock than pictured, lifting the frame 4 or 5" under the guide side of the machine before walking around and tilting back the column.

Some pipe can be utilized for a standing machine, although I'd not chance that should you want a machine with a larger table, or compact and on a bad floor,
and if transporting when horizontal a dolly is essential to move it like that.

Regardless what machine you go looking at, you will be glad to have a fence post or whatever, at the very least to clear wires for switches, getting your hands under
and not getting fingers pinched.

Screenshot-2022-1-21 Lugging a large bandsaw about.png

Kicking a chock under the base, woulda been easier to get tilted, if I started with a thicker block of timber under the other end, as I'm quite short.

Fair enough, there's no wheel or shaft, no guide's, guide post and guard,
but I can tell ya the smaller 20" machine I had before, was no bother to get back on the trailer when it was (bar table) assembeled.
Only gets a bit heavy beyond 45 degrees, but nothing that requires two people.
I could still use a single hand to lower that down to the floor, .as its balanced.
Only a few kgs, no mad effort needed if your lugging it right.
Screenshot-2022-1-21 Lugging a large bandsaw about(3).png

Last edited:
Hi there.
I'm looking to buy a bandsaw up to 800+/-50 Euros but can't decide what it's best, to go with an older style industrial triple phase +vfd bandsaw or to go with the makita band saw lb1200f. The footprint is important as my workshop is small but I can't find any information abou what there is out there. Unfortunately due to Brexit I can't order from England. But I saw a more powerful Cevik bandsaw that seemeed interesting. But I don't know the brand. What advice can you share?
Any other models you'd recommend? I saw someone mentioning the Scheppach Basa 3.0 with a 800w engine. Is that enough oomph?

Hi. I have a Scheppach Basa 3.0h vario. I can’t compare with others as it’s the only one I’ve had. But seems to do the job ok. I cut mainly wood but also metal (with the correct blade).
The blade guides are a bit odd though. See photo. I’d prefer ball races. May modify it in the future.

It also has an extendible handle and built in rear wheels that allow you to move it easily. It’s quite heavy though.
Had it six years now with no problems. Cheers.
0EF619ED-3DBB-4806-B750-389E264CAFDE.jpeg

Last edited:
Back