New bandsaw guides from Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless someone buys the set they will not know if it fits, are you going to volunteer? :lol:

I don't have access to my BS350, but e-mailed Record Power and asked what the diameter of the guide support rod, they told me it was 9.9mm, that seems amazingly small to support the whole guide system, can someone confirm?

One of the Axminster replacement guides is quoted as being compatible with a 12mm round bar, that to me sounds more like it, but if the infomation I received from Record Power is correct then that particular replacement guide will not work.

Will have to wait for transatlantic to buy his to see if it fits. :wink:

Mike

Ok I bought this set: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hb ... set-102273 and fitted them to my Record Power BS350 although they are running very well and do exactly what is intended, I don't recommend doing the same, lots of fettling and additional bits to be made/drilled and tapped, lot of work in the end, was it worth it, pass, I had the Yandles top guides fitted anyway, are they better, only time will tell.

Mike

A few pics of the guides installed on the Record Power BS350:

DSC01399.jpg

DSC01400.jpg

DSC01402.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• DSC01402.jpg
    DSC01402.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 3,127
  • DSC01400.jpg
    DSC01400.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 3,129
  • DSC01399.jpg
    DSC01399.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 3,131
Top guide:
Change sides of the adjustment screws, not difficult
Make an attachment block, reamed to fit the Record Bar, width specific to ensure alignment, drill and tap both ends to accept vertical plate on the Axminster top guide and locating bolt to the bar, accuracy of this block is critical as it dictates the rear bearing location, lots of fit, try, take off modify and trial fit again.
Increase rear bearing guide travel.

Bottom guide:
Take off locating plate, not difficult.
Grind/file off the side of the guide block at 45degs to allow table tilt, you can see this in the picture above, time consuming.
Take off table to allow accurate drilling of the Bandsaw casing to accept fixing bolts, critical as this dictates the rear bearing position on the blade, fixing holes in the bearing block are blind so accuracy is needed, using the original locating plate helps.
Increase rear bearing guide travel.
Fit raising blocks to prevent front bearings lower edge fouling the casing, I used stud extending nuts to raise the guide as much as possible, so the distance between the top and bottom guides above and below the table is minimal.

In all I suppose it took me a full day to do this, whereas I think there must be an easier fix, I know about the Yandles top guide, its what I took off to do this modification.

Mike

Were you unhappy with the handles top guide? They seem very expensive for just one guide and you lose about 50mm of cut depth.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

No, I was happy with it as it came with the Bandsaw when I bought it, just did not like the 50mm loss of depth of cut and the inevitable thrust bearing the wrong way around, my engineering background could not cope with it, hence the change.

Mike

Now all I have to do is try to cure the original Record Power rack and pinion shaft back/forward movement.

Mike

First problem, the bearing bolt on the top guide has stripped, made a new one from an 8mm cap head bolt filed down and die'd to 5mm to match the original this was an 8mm bolt not even shanked through the bearing, hmmm.

Mike

MikeJhn":3ny398h7 said:
Now all I have to do is try to cure the original Record Power rack and pinion shaft back/forward movement.

Mike

Helps if you do up the shaft lock. :oops:

Mike

288 views and no one spotted the deliberate mistake, now I have pointed out there is one, can someone spot it?

DSC01400.jpg

DSC01402.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• DSC01402.jpg
    DSC01402.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 2,831
  • DSC01400.jpg
    DSC01400.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 2,831
You have not got the horizontal mounting bar orientated so the screw pushes against the flat?

-Neil

The plastic insert is backwards, but if it is intentional, it is not a mistake.

Neil S":1q5jr95w said:
You have not got the horizontal mounting bar orientated so the screw pushes against the flat?

-Neil

Give that man a cigar, well spotted.

Mike

MikeK":10n8zeyu said:
The plastic insert is backwards, but if it is intentional, it is not a mistake.

Not a mistake, but the only way it would fit if you have the gullet of the blade just outside the guides.

Mike

MikeJhn":20dwptwg said:
Give that man a cigar, well spotted.

Mike

Ha Ha, I wouldn't have noticed unless you said that there was a mistake somewhere.
In fact I'd better go and check that mine are on correctly :roll:

-Neil

Back