New arrival, 8 pounds 3 ounces!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been a good boy over the winter, but I couldn't resist a dabble on fleabay this week, the results of which were delivered today, and in the spirit of everyone else putting new acquisitions up on here, I thought I would join in with a new little plane...

004-6.jpg

Stanley type 11 no. 8. Yummy!

006-7.jpg

3 patent dates and small adjuster

012-2.jpg

If the blade is original it's an early type 11 if the type study is to be believed... :---)

It was sold as spares or repair, with non-original tote and tall knob, and the frog is earlier with no adjuster screw and patent date on the lateral lever. Lever cap is period with the older outline.

024-1.jpg

The sole is a bit pitted, too bad to lap out in a few places, but it doesn't affect the performance; straight out of the shoe box it arrived in it did this on hard maple

003-7.jpg

Before it arrived I had given some thought to what I might need to do to get it in working order, but with shavings 0.11mm (between 4 and 5 thou I think) thick as measured it will do for me, so no fettling required!

At at 8 pounds 3 ounces, it is a full 2 and a half pounds lighter than my LN number 8 and it felt a bit better to me, an odd and financially depressing feeling given it cost £28 (plus a tenner shipping), £384 less than the current LN price, but in the order of 100 years old and just as good.

I don't think I would sell the LN, but it is a good example that you can buy an old plane for buttons which will do exactly what a new premium plane will do. I guess it's just down to the luck of the draw whether it will do it 'out of the box', as our American friends like to say!

What a beautiful plane Scouse! I am rapidly leaning towards the old US Stanleys.....there is something about them that oozes quality.

That was possibly the bargain of the year so far...(ok only 26 days but still...a bargain indeed!!!)

So...no changes to it and no fettling then? :wink:

Not even a Clifton cap? :mrgreen:

Jim

Wow, real bargin, I thought I did well getting an old Record No8 for £68 but you got me beat.

The sole on mine looks like yours but its flat so I haven't laped it, it would take some doing as well.

Pete

Scouse":3b2zehew said:
..... but it is a good example that you can buy an old plane for buttons which will do exactly what a new premium plane will do.
Ciao Scouse, :D I agree with you!
Old USA Stanley planes are fine tools and your n°8 is a piece of beauty. =D>
For these long planes, a corrugated model could be an option in the eventuality the sole would have to flat.
I bought many Vintage Stanley planes on ebay USA, saving a lot of money in respect to purchase new planes. My method was to point to auctions with a good description of tool condition but poor information about age, types etc. I acquired a good experience in recognize plane type looking to the few pics the seller provided and choosing best models that, in my opinion, Stanley produced between the late XIXth and the first decades of XXth century. So, the final auction price was kept low. Of course are necessary restoring job and a minimal risk too, but saved money widely justify any inconvenient (shipping, damages etc.).

256ffxi.jpg

Also, I developed a flow chart for this purpose:
http://woodworkingbyhand2.blogspot.com/ ... e-for.html

Giuliano

Seriously good bit of kit there El ... but : "straight out of the shoe box it arrived in" - ?? Shades of clown... "sold as spares or repair" ... that confirms it.
Bloody good thing; well done!

Thanks chaps, it was literally dumb luck; it was a buy it now, which I stumbled on just as it was listed. Here's the link, need to scroll down a bit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350526145078? ... 500wt_1287

The guy was a dealer I think, he had a lot of feedback, all positive, and mostly hand-toolie, so I've no idea why it was cheap. Maybe the pitting and horrible handles made him not look too closely. Proof that there are still bargains out there I guess.

jimi43":23l8bekt said:
So...no changes to it and no fettling then? :wink:

Not even a Clifton cap? :mrgreen:

Jim

There you go again, planting ideas... lighting the blue touch paper and standing back... :lol: There is a small chip on the mouth behind the blade. It doesn't affect the performance but it does give an excuse to open the mouth a tiny bit to fit a thicker iron and those Clifton irons do look nice in vintage planes... :wink:

I guess the pitting might put a lot of people off. People, that is, who don't realise that it's the bits in between that matter; and if they are flat it matters not one jot. Especially on a #8.

We shouldn't praise the old US Stanleys too much, only makes the prices higher!

But I'm very happy with my type 11 #7 too. It was a bit more expensive, but all original. Dead flat sole. Iron is very good steel. And the bedding is so good that I don't see the need for ticker irons. These planes are also a bit lighter then the UK made ones, which is nice for a big plane like a jointer.

Back