New Aquisition Bailey No7

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergroundhunter

Established Member
Reaction score
WARNING Slight tool gloat here guys 'n' gals!

My Father in-law just gave me this! It belonged to his grandfather so at a guess its got to be knocking on for 100 years old (anyone got any ideas how old it actually is)????? I just tried it out as it is and i can get some nice whispy shavings from it....... Admittadly it needs some TLC, but works pretty well. Just 1 small thing the hight adjuster wheel is really stiff and there seems to be one hell of a lot of slop in it ( aprox 2 maybe 2.5 turns). So my question is can i swap the adjuster wheel from a later Stanley Bailey plane to try and reduce the slop??? The tread on the adjuster is full of gunk and grime so that would explain the tightness.

1-IMAG0207.jpg

2-IMAG0208.jpg

That's not a crack on the left its just how the light hits a scuff.
3-IMAG0209.jpg

4-IMAG0210.jpg

5-IMAG0212.jpg

Matt

Attachments

• 1-IMAG0207.jpg
    1-IMAG0207.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1,004
  • 1-IMAG0207.jpg
    1-IMAG0207.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1,015
  • 2-IMAG0208.jpg
    2-IMAG0208.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,016
  • 3-IMAG0209.jpg
    3-IMAG0209.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,016
  • 4-IMAG0210.jpg
    4-IMAG0210.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 1,123
  • 5-IMAG0212.jpg
    5-IMAG0212.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,034
Hi, Mat

That is a cracking plane, give it a clean up and don't worry about the slop, it shouldn't be a problem when you use it.

I would keep it all orignal, its to good to turn in to a franknplane.

Pete

All that needs is taking apart, a good clean (white spirit and toothbrush - clean the toothbrush before replacing, especially if you borrow the wife's), a spot of oil on the moving parts, a smear of camellia oil or similar on the sole and sides to inhibit rust, maybe a wipe of linseed oil on the handles if you're feeling generous, a quick sharpen, and it should be a good 'un.

I checked a plane timeline and its looking like its a type 10 http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/tl_10.php so that dates it from 1907 to 1909 so its about right for my wife's great grandfather. Looks like I've got some work to do tomorrow!!!! I think a good old clean up and it will be a good 'n'. I do need the iron regrinding to 25 degrees if anyone feels generous (i am lacking in a decent grinder and don't fancy taking the angle grinder to it lol).

Matt

Nice one! I've got a type 11. Best Stanley plane in my possesion, even the blade is marvelous. When the adjuster wheel runs smoothly again, the slop is no problem. You just give it a whirl in the right direction until the slop is used up.

Yes - that amount of (slop) backlash sounds about usual and is mostly due to wear of the yolk at both ends and that with which those ends connect rather than the thread on the wheel.

As is said above, once you get it spick and span you'll learn to love that spin between back and forth.

Nice one Matt...and to get a No.7 of that vintage is a real joy.

No.7 planes are quite sought after of any age but yours is probably one of the most sought after of all.

The irons from that vintage (if original) are also sublime.

Jim

I always find this is quite helpful, I'm sure it has been posted before.

http://primeshop.com/access/woodwork/stanleyplane/pftsynch.htm

It's a bit more comprehensive than other plane dating sites I've used before especially as it allows you to take into account that your Stanley might be made of parts from different types.

For example I bought a Stanley Jack Plane that I have dated the Casting between 1914-1918 and the blade bears the logo from the previous type.

Stanley had large production runs of parts not always in equal numbers so not all the parts will be of the same age, or possibly previous owners have swapped things around.

Back