"NEW" #8 jointer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keystone

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked up a real nice new to me Keen Kutter #8 jointer yesterday. I'm not sure of teh age, but I'm sure it is one of the early laterals just by looking at how the frong mates to the plane. Japening is about 70% or so, but the plane is in real nice shape. Plenty of blade left and it came sharp!
KK5-1807x496.jpg

KK5-3.jpg

KK5-2.jpg

It's long and wide! One could land a fighter jet on it I think!

I see it is a KK8 so it could have been made by a number of manufacturers. It doesn't have a tapered blade so that rules out Ohio as the maker. My guess is it was made by Sargent. I could tell by looking at the frog mating surface. Does it have a frog adjustment screw?

Ken

The high knob is also an age indicator. From memory that makes it 1920 or later. Sargent tended to copy Stanley features pretty closely - except for things like frog adjuster screws. Personally I reckon that "Very Best Made" or "VBM" (Sargent's one time motto) was a crock!

Scrit

Not sure I would call the front knob a High Boy Scrit. It's closer to the lower knobs on my type 7 #5 Stanley. I've got a newer High Boy on my #7 and it is about a third more than this one.

Of course we are assuming that the knob and tote are the original ones.

Back