New 1/2in Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve still got it and I’ve had it repaired before but this time I haven’t a clue what’s wrong with it, it’s just dead as the proverbial Dodo.
Assuming that it isn't seized and that you've already done a continuity test on the plug, flex and on-off switch, and checked for loose/detached wires inside, the next most likely candidate is probably the brushes being worn (a cheap, relatively simple DIY repair), or failing that the speed controller having gone phut! If yours is a type 3 or earlier MOF177e (i.e. 2-tone grey body with orange on-off switch and speed dial) then you probably won't be able to get a replacement controller, although it would still be possible to rewire the router as a single speed tool.

After DW took over the general finish of the routers did diminish, but if you already have a 177e you could always look for a DW625 or a Trend T10 or T11 as a "body only" option, i.e. minus collet, nut, side fence, etc. Some dealers offer these from time to time.

As for the Festool…is it really worth the extra cash .
Quite frankly, unless you are doing solid surface work (which soaks up power), no. It's a superb, powerful router, extremely well built, best in class dust extraction, but not 3 times better (based on street price bring 3 times a DW625). A Trend T11, which is designed to be used in a router table and is under half the price of the Fes, would be my choice... but I bought an OF2200, then found that out

Last edited:
Assuming that it isn't seized and that you've already done a continuity test on the plug, flex and on-off switch, and checked for loose/detached wires inside the next most likely candidate is probably the brushes being worn (a cheap, relatively simple DIY repair), or failing that the speed controller having gone phut! If yours is a type 3 or earlier MOF177e (2-tone grey body with orange on-off switch and speed dial) then you probably won't be able to get a replacement controller, although it would be possible to rewire the router as a single speed tool.

After DW took over the general finish of the routers did diminish, but if you already have a 177e you could always look for a DW625or a Trend T10 or T11 as a "body only" option, i.e. minus collet, nut, side fence, etc. Some dealers offer these from time to time.

Quite frankly, unless you are doing solid surface work (which soaks up power), no. It's a superb, powerful router, extremely well built, best in class dust extraction, but not 3 times better (based on street price bring 3 times a DW625). A Trend T11, which is designed to be used in a router table and is under half the price of the Fes, would be my choice... but I bought an OF2200, then found that out

Cheers for that.
I’ve done all the usual post death router checks and changed the brushes out first thing but no resurrection sadly.
Never thought of the speed controller to be honest.
Like I mentioned earlier, I’ll get it checked out before giving it an honourable funeral but I’m hoping that won’t be needed.
I’ll let you know what the out come is when I know.

Good sensible info regarding the Festool.

I have a Triton's TRA001 It's too large for me for freehand, but I got it for mounting on a table. The ease of fitting and the built in up/down mechanism/ dust extraction port make it ideal for table fitting. It is VERY noisy. The up/doown mechanism has a bit of backlash, so even though it has calibration marks on the winding plate, it's just a bit too sloppy for really accurate machining, but easily overcome with a digital depth gauge. Overall, I am very pleased with it. I have used some large cutters. It handles them with ease. Some people complain the switch is inaccessible when table mounted, but I don't have any problems. Really good price. I still have my ELU MOF 96/10 (Swiss made) for hand held work. It's still going as good as the day I got it. It failed once, caused by a faulty cable where it flexes going into the machine. I was devastated when it stopped working, but it was an easy fix.

Back