Never lose a pencil again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only learned how to use a pencil parer in the last few years.
Now I can use cheap pencils and not have the tips break off.
Maybe it was just me twisting them pencils wit me wonky fingies...

Doesn't seem to work the same for carpenters ones unfortunately..maybe needs a sharpen, kinda different design of those so couldn't compare my test.

How do you hold your sharpener? 👎

I like the way he said cut the sides to the exact height of the hole and when he put the plywood in there was at least 2mm gap!

I've only learned how to use a pencil parer in the last few years.
Now I can use cheap pencils and not have the tips break off.
Maybe it was just me twisting them pencils wit me wonky fingies...

Doesn't seem to work the same for carpenters ones unfortunately..maybe needs a sharpen, kinda different design of those so couldn't compare my test.

How do you hold your sharpener? 👎
clamped to a shelf, just like in school

What I find works for me might also be preferred with electrified or pedal power.
Just wondering if anyone else might have found doing the same works for them?

Tom

I like to use the type of pencil, don't know what they're called, but the type you load up with leads and click the end to extend the lead. You have a choice from H through to 3B and from 0.5mm to 0.8mm. They are always sharp, cheap, and most have a pocket clip so they don't roll around when you lay them down.

I thought my comment might stir some suggestions, but seems not.
Next time you're sharpening a cheapie with your standard parer,
(try finding a bad one in the pack)
See if pointing the pencil upwards works better than not.

Tom

I got a new pencil with my track saw :D

I didnt automatically work out it was a pencil and a holder and spent a few minutes clicking it and turning it, wondering how the lead came out. I thought it was faulty til i pulled on the end and revelation :LOL:
Seems an ideal bit of kit, built in sharpener, and you clip the holder onto something so its always there when you need it.

A bit pricey as pencils go, but it was free so no complaints..
fes204147.jpg

I like to use the type of pencil, don't know what they're called, but the type you load up with leads and click the end to extend the lead. You have a choice from H through to 3B and from 0.5mm to 0.8mm. They are always sharp, cheap, and most have a pocket clip so they don't roll around when you lay them down.
Yes I find mechanical pencils to be the most useful, a lot people appear to overlook them for some reason.

I have taken to drilling pencil sized holes wherever there is a space around my workshop (sides of shelves, tool stands etc.) and put a pencil in nearest empty hole when I find one lying around. I have various propelling pencils and carpenters pencils but I find that quantity wins over quality!

A lot of faffing about in my opinion, what's wrong with a bench drawer? I keep a glass wine cooler on my bench with an assortment of pencils & pens, (it was an unwanted raffle prize) it's relatively heavy enough not to be easily knocked over.

find that quantity wins over quality!

Indeed.

When I refitted my kitchen a few years back I was assembling units in the garage then fitting them so had an indoor and outdoor pencil. On day 2 I 'lost' one and by the end of the day reckoned I had spent a disporoprtionate amount of time looking for pencils generally. So next day I bought 2 boxes of 12, put them everywhere I was working and I still do. I suspect I still have 20 of the 24. No special equipment (or ears, I wear specs) required.

Drifitng a little off topic, one of the early quick warm ups we used on training courses was to get a group to shout out uses for a pencil and put them on a flipchart. You could easily get over 50 of increasing creativity. There are the obvious ones but then you get into listening for vibrations, rollers to move things on, weapon, unblocking holes, lubrication (graphite), holding doors open, kindling for fire, kebab stick, on and on and on. The objective wasn't to find uses for a pencil but to get people comfortable in the group. But, hey you can use pencils for all sorts......

Don't want to be a party pooper but if he's the sort of guy losing his pencils will he ever put them back in the draw? I must admit I do think the idea of using that otherwise wasted space is great and very ingenious. I'll have to investigate my machine tools.

Reminds me of my very first lesson in the school woodwork shop, aged 11.
It was how to sharpen a pencil using a chisel. H&S was uppermost in his mind long before the infamous legislation arrived.
He said that the best way was to use the rotary sharpener mounted on his desk, but with all these sharp tools available, sooner or later, you'll be tempted to use one for pencil sharpening. So this is how to do it.
Rest the pencil on the fleshy bit between your thumb and first finger with the point pointing away from you. Grip the top end of the pencil with your thumb and finger. Now sharpen using your chisel.
It was good advice. Never cut towards any part of your body.
Brian

Yes I find mechanical pencils to be the most useful, a lot people appear to overlook them for some reason.
In my experience the 0.5mm and 0.7mm sizes popular for writing are too fragile and wear too quickly for workshop use. I moved to 0.9mm mechanical pencils and 2mm clutch pencils (which act like wooden pencils in use) a few years back and never looked back. And a couple of water soluble Chinagraphs for marking things other than wood.

Back