NEVER DO PARING ON A SMALL BLOCK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shim20

Established Member
Reaction score
the best way of learning is the hard way right? today was fitting some fiddly little mouldings on a dressing table, one if them way bit to long, so went to my chisels and pulled out my freshly ground up paring chisel with a nice low angle on it razor sharp she is :D , i thought il just quickly trim that, but made a big mistake of using a 7/8" square block and it fell over and chisel went right into my finger lots of blood but the end was still on there, trip to the docs and steri striped and taped up etc im ok, so try and remember not to do what i did an easy mistake to make when doing things quick. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Hi Shim20
Yeah, I feel for you. It's so easy to take the short cut when you are tired, rushed or simply not concentrating.
I was rushing to finish some fitted wardrobes for a client late one friday afternoon and managed to drill about 5 mm into my index finger tip. 5 seconds of haste and 3 weeks of discomfort. As the years go by the healing process takes longer, when I was in my twenties I healed like Wolverine. ;-)
Howie

Hi, Shim20

Sounds painful! I cut a slice off my finger with a Stanley knife on the last cut of the day so I know how these things happen, and hurt.

We could do with a picture, just to make us take care. I think we should have a gallery of injuries, just to let people know that sharp tools and soft flesh should be kept apart :shock:

Pete

lol will post one up when the nurse redressed it on Monday, all bandaged up at mo been told to leave alone till monday

Ow!

I managed to slice the back of my hand last weekend being a bit careless pulling the chisel out of a mortice which was all clamped down to the table and everything, but I think I got away lightly in comparison...

It's all this sharpening that's to blame, you know - I've never cut myself on a blunt chisel! ;-)

Ye weve all been there plenty times, i was doing a ceiling raft hung off
Dexion, a small sway from the scissor lift i was in an i got my hand pinned
To the mdf with a fifty mill pin, ill never forget the squelshing noise as
I pulled my hand along the pin an over the head! An like you say when you were
You ger you wouldnt think twice if somethin happened to you but when your older
You definately kick urself more when silly things happen!

Ouch! Indeed. First job when you get back to the bench... An MDF or hardwood chiselling block about 450mm square!

Hope it heals well. :D

Tomyjoiner":10y25nsy said:
Ye weve all been there plenty times, i was doing a ceiling raft hung off
Dexion, a small sway from the scissor lift i was in an i got my hand pinned
To the mdf with a fifty mill pin, ill never forget the squelshing noise as
I pulled my hand along the pin an over the head! An like you say when you were
You ger you wouldnt think twice if somethin happened to you but when your older
You definately kick urself more when silly things happen!

ouch yes these things do happen in the heat of the moment

Benchwayze":28n1fvjj said:
Ouch! Indeed. First job when you get back to the bench... An MDF or hardwood chiselling block about 450mm square!

Hope it heals well. :D

thats the thing you dont want a square because it can tip over like mine did, even one that size might i dont know, first thing i did when i went back to work after the doctors was find a piece of 12mm mdf about 15" square and wrote PARING BOARD all over it and sits on the back of my bench now

Shim,

If you mean you don't want to use a 'cube' to pare on, I'd agree. But I think provided the board is fully supported on the bench, you'd have a hard time tipping over a 450mm square, of 25 mm thick hardwood or MDF. As often as not, I use any suitable piece of board; down to 12mm thick, mainly to protect the bench.

Hope that clears up any confusion. :)

Benchwayze":25rgxoe5 said:
Shim,

If you mean you don't want to use a 'cube' to pare on, I'd agree. But I think provided the board is fully supported on the bench, you'd have a hard time tipping over a 450mm square, of 25 mm thick hardwood or MDF. As often as not, I use any suitable piece of board; down to 12mm thick, mainly to protect the bench.

Hope that clears up any confusion. :)

ahhh yes was me who got confused :wink:, i blame the finger :lol:

Latest posts

Back