Never by hand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dj3d":50ezzvuy said:
And there was me thinking that the golf swing was the most complex technique of all to master. Learning to co-ordinate fingers, thumbs, wrists, elbows, shoulders etc. to within a thou or there abouts is really quite impressive. Perhaps you free hand guys could give Rory McIlroy a run for his money. :wink:

A piece of float glass and some 3m films does the trick for me.

Derek
Freehand sharpening is about as difficult as sharpening a pencil. A good golf swing is much harder!
Most people perform many more difficult manual tasks compared to sharpening. Think of playing the piano, hitting the darts board, driving a car.
I don't understand how the 'difficult' myth has evolved. It was never a problem years ago - everybody could do it

Thanks for that - I've started going through the old posts, there's a lot there! Also, people seem remarkably robust in their opinions, almost as if it was a disputed facet of religion...

Really I need to see video evidence, so I can see how someone performs the actions of freehand sharpening - I shall trawl youtube. I have used an eclipse honing guide to date, which works well, but there are limitations, especially for gouges and I have alas, found myself sliding down the increasingly slippery slope of moulding planes (I don't understand the attraction - I rarely need one, yet the desire....)

Hey ho, must practice sharpening it seems,

Thanks,

Carl

I think it also depends on how coarse your stone is. For years I used a medium stone and if it was slightly too high or too low to the previous honing angle it wouldnt matter as much cause it would remove the metal and give a new edge. Its only now ive moved onto a finer stone I notice I have to pay a little more attention to what parts being honed :???:

Here's a video http://paulsellers.com/2012/01/sharpeni ... ro-bevels/
He's a bit over-thorough IMHO. A little and often is better.
The key essential detail with whatever method you use is to bring up a burr which you can feel over the whole width of the edge especially the middle. It's quite easy to sharpen and make a little improvement where you could do better by raising the 100% burr. I think people do this a lot and probably never get to a really good edge, irrespective of the method.

Manual dexterity, accuracy etc.
The outer ring of a dart board subtends an angle of about 4.25º at the ocky. Almost everybody can hit the board every time.
The bulls eye ditto is 0.32º. Quite difficult but possible. Everybody does it now and then.
The precision needed for hitting a sharpening angle is in between; just a bit more accurate than hitting the board would be good, but if you go over it'll still be OK most likely, and you can put it right next time!

"Learning to co-ordinate fingers, thumbs, wrists, elbows, shoulders etc" isn't really necessary.
I imagine the muscular coordination in picking one's nose would be quite complex but without any learning process we can do it!
Well I can, I don't know about you.

Just remember the best method is the one you are comfortable with, everybody is different, so are there sharpening methods.
One size doesn't fit all.

Pete

I can and do, sometimes sharpen by hand, I find it just suits me more to use a jig. there's not much difference in time to set it up. I have several jigs, but prefer my Veritas. Other's no doubt prefer other types. This could be an endless discussion, just like religion !!!!!! :shock: (hammer)

Carl P":3q9ae3a3 said:
people seem remarkably robust in their opinions, almost as if it was a disputed facet of religion...Carl

Not everyone - only a very few "preachers" on here: :lol:

Most members are happy to ad"minister" their own practice and "beliefs" without delivering "sermons" to everyone else :wink:

Just look at all the options, try whatever methods appeal to you and go with the ones you are comfortable with and produces the best results FOR YOU! Keep an open mind and don't get sucked in to the "my way is best" argument.

cheers

Bob

dj3d":1twztbkm said:
Oh I wish that were the case

Thanks for the clarification. Seems that even fewer people than I first thought were happy with the EWG if the contributors weren't paid.

If you are after comments for F&C, a letters page or two would be a welcome addition - other than that - keep up the good work!

Steve

Jacob
You sound like a sporting chap so you probably know what's coming next - 1600 words, a dozen pictures and a few drawings. How about it? Let's see if we can get you a few converts.
Derek

dj3d":3lyee2z5 said:
Jacob
You sound like a sporting chap so you probably know what's coming next - 1600 words, a dozen pictures and a few drawings. How about it? Let's see if we can get you a few converts.
Derek

Derek, interesting suggestion. Keep up the good work with F&C

Hmmm.....David Charlesworth and Jacob Butler with consecutive articles on sharpening technique in F&C.....

The magazine would self-combust.....

:lol:
Wossit worth? I'll say anything for money.

I might get around to reviving my website one day but I haven't much to add to what's already there. I've got to add a link to Paul Sellers excellent videos. I got the three diamond plates the same as his but somehow I still prefer the oil stones.
I still use an Eclipse jig every now and then - it's handy for putting a nice bit of tell-tale clean bevel on something rough and neglected so you can then see the damage better.

Here's Terry Connolly doing an absolutely basic demo of freehand honing.
This is what everybody learned, early on, as first sharpening experience in the old days
This method is good enough for most purposes, but you could go sharper by doing exactly the same again but with a finer stone and then a strop.
That's about all there is to it.
One little refinement he doesn't show is the convex bevel. Doesn't do to impart too much information too soon and people do have a problem understanding it! This is produced by dipping the handle a touch. It has no value in itself but helps to make the process quicker (i.e. you can put more force into it) and avoids rounding over.

Doesn't really need "1600 words, a dozen pictures and a few drawings"

Jacob
Had a look at your site and really very interesting. Appreciate this knowledge is already out there and easy to access but we could still have some fun putting an article together. Direct comparisons with other methods aren't really necessary but some drawings to explain the more subtle aspects would, I'm sure, be of interest.

The one thing I've noticed while doing this is that there are a heck of a lot chaps out there with loads of experience who perhaps aren't aware just how much they know. There's a tendency to take what we do on auto-pilot most of the time, for granted. Maybe 1600 words is a bit top heavy but give it some thought. You might have bored the pants off these guys by the sound of it but I'm all all ears and yes there's money involved.

That's an open invitation btw if there are members out there who would like to contribute.

Derek

OK Derek I'll think on.

dj3d":2fqy8esi said:
Jacob
Had a look at your site and really very interesting. Appreciate this knowledge is already out there and easy to access but we could still have some fun putting an article together. Direct comparisons with other methods aren't really necessary but some drawings to explain the more subtle aspects would, I'm sure, be of interest.

I can't believe I just read that. Has F&C gone into self-destruct mode :?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":f54n4c0f said:
I can't believe I just read that. Has F&C gone into self-destruct mode :? Cheers :wink: Paul

Not on my shopping list in future :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back