Netflix

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
So whats best ?, whats everyone into.
I've just got it and have been watching The last Kingdom(which is pretty interesting though highly fictionalized, but it does give you a sense of how the country of Great Britain came together all those eons ago.
I'm more the SIFI/Fantasy fan, not really into cop dramas, which can be a bit samey, also like the historical drama(being the sad old romantic)
So what else does the UKworkshop crowd like. Post it up :D Any and all recommendations will likely be checked out.

Just Si-Fi and documentaries....I'm also quite sad......
Had it for quite a while now so running out of new stuff.......
Rewatching the better old stuff....
mind summer is just around the corner so will be outside working and no need for a TV....

I find that with subtitles that if the film is good you can find yourself not noticing them so much

I'm fairly hard if hearing so unless we have the telly at full volume I have subtitles on all the time. They could be speaking Swahili for all I care.

You definitely get used to them.

I'm fairly hard if hearing so unless we have the telly at full volume I have subtitles on all the time.
With also using glasses to read the subtitles I sometimes have to watch a film twice to see what I missed first time through o_O

I enjoyed "The tick".

Seemed to watch a lot during lockdowns various. From memory:

A few quality films based on real events, worth a watch, Argo (bit old now), Spotlight (stunning, upsetting), Trial of the Chicago 7, Wasp Network, Official Secrets, Sully.

The Irishman is a classic, long. (for woodworking fans, a brief background shot of an unconventional use of a tree chipping machine).

Series. Homeland, stunning series of series, first episode maybe a bit of an effort but after that it's addicitive. You never know who is on which side, or even how many sides there are, until perhaps the very last few moments of the very last episode of the final series. Queens Gambit - not many episodes, different and excellent.

Oddball stuff: A very secret service, wholly bonkers French spy spoof (at least I hope it is a spoof, maybe they really are like that) and one I keep coming back to as wholly different: Midnight Diner. There are 2 sets of 3 series, c. 30 minute episdes, good relaxing filler last thing in the evening. Netflix bought Midnight Diner which was the second set of 3 series so I watched that first. Later they got Midnight Diner - Tokyo Stories which was its predecessor. At least I think it was, not that clear which was which. It really doesn't matter what order you watch them in, each one stands alone but you do get to know the characters over time. It won't please everyone, it does please me.

Don't know if it's on Netflix or not (my wife uses it, I don't use it much at all) but the US series "West Wing" is IMO, first class (I got it as a boxed set of CDs or DVDs). "Political drama" based on a fictitious (but obvious who he's meant to be) liberal (and "big L") President of the USA. Quite old now, but good riveting watching none the less (once you get used to the machine gun-speed of the often - to my old ears - also quite garbled dialogue).

Breaking Bad is good, but there is too much if it, it could be a series shorter.
The follow on movie, El Camino is good.
If its on Netflix, watch 'viiings' until ragnar becomes king, after that it's downhill for a season or two, then falls off a cliff thereafter.
Again, if its on Netflix, watch 'norsemen'. Its a mick take on Vikings, and one of the funniest things on TV.

So whats best ?, whats everyone into.
I've just got it and have been watching The last Kingdom(which is pretty interesting though highly fictionalized, but it does give you a sense of how the country of Great Britain came together all those eons ago.
I'm more the SIFI/Fantasy fan, not really into cop dramas, which can be a bit samey, also like the historical drama(being the sad old romantic)
So what else does the UKworkshop crowd like. Post it up :D Any and all recommendations will likely be checked out.

Vikings
Chicago Fire
Chicago Med
SWAT series
Hostiles movies, slow but great movie
Click Bate
Once you start using it Netflix will start showing you stuff they think you may like.
There are some good WW1 & 2 movies like Red Tails, Danger Close, The Siege of Jadotville, true stories.

I have netflix, but rarely watch it. Same with prime.

I think the kids and wife watch it a lot, though. The odd time I do sit down to watch TV (which is nearly never) on the weekends with the kids and try to find a movie, it seems like it's:
1) not available on netflix
2) $4 or more on amazon prime

Got my fill of TV as a kid (like 4-5 hours a day's worth) and have flipped things as an adult (pondering shop stuff, catching up on work, whatever in the evening rather than watching TV)

Back