Nesting boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I have an old store/garage which up to a few weeks ago had some broken windows and up to last August had a ancient sliding door which was seldom if ever closed.

I stored various low value non essential items in it.

Birds built nests in the rafters and produced what birds produce on the items below.

Now with the addition of a new roller door and replaced window panes and low value non essential items dispatched on FB market place, I have cleaned the place up but I am not without a heart and would like to provide alternative accommodation for the birds which previously stopped there.
I have a large garden and would like suggestions on what I could build to help them out.

My late sister and still-lively brother in law were avid birders, and wax lyrical about the complexities of bird accommodation. It's trickier than you might think, depending on the bird species needing homes.

However, I did find this from the RSPB which seems like a good starting point on box sizes for various species, and also suitable locations (they don't like south facing - get cooked in summer - and they don't like west-facing - wet winds, and none of us like those)

Where To Put A Bird Box | Nestboxes - The RSPB

The RSPB have plans for nest boxes, it's wise to look them up as the sizes of the holes are quite critical - too large and the nest will get robbed. Perches on the front below the hole are a no no as well, for the same reason.

+1

We have a panel fence running down the side of our garden which is covered in ivy and faces due east. There are three nest boxes on it and they get used every year, one even had a blackbird nest built on top of it!
Im guessing the birds nesting in your shed were probably swallows, swifts, house martins (?), so you might struggle to placate their fury with nest boxes, unless you can get some ledges built under the eaves.
If you can find somewhere discrete where cats can’t get to it then an odd open fronted nest box is nice to have as robins and flycatchers like them.

Another thing to consider is which direction they face. Ideally they should face in a direction that gets little sun, namely from North of East and West to prevent them from getting too hot during the heat of the day.

Nigel.

We have a panel fence running down the side of our garden which is covered in ivy and faces due east. There are three nest boxes on it and they get used every year, one even had a blackbird nest built on top of it!
Im guessing the birds nesting in your shed were probably swallows, swifts, house martins (?), so you might struggle to placate their fury with nest boxes, unless you can get some ledges built under the eaves.
If you can find somewhere discrete where cats can’t get to it then an odd open fronted nest box is nice to have as robins and flycatchers like them.
Look up swift boxes too.

Cheers James

I built another bird box on Monday after watching a blue tit examine one of the existing boxes which has been up for a few years. Talk about a thorough inspection!! My goodness, it climbed all over the box checking the sides, the back, the front, then inside. Then the mate came along and checked it out as well. Not sure if they will move in. I put the new box up on Monday. On Tuesday Morning, I'm sure it was the same pair of blue t1ts examined the new box. One then spent 5 minutes pecking at the entrance. I made it the recommended size, but obviously didn't suit the little tit. Fussy beggar
Was real fun writing this reply!! :ROFLMAO:

RSPB as suggested, British Trust for Ornithology also have designs and a handy list of birds and hole sizes. Not many are an exact match to my Forstber bit set, hopefully they are not after precision. Ive just read that sparrows nest high and are sociable, so a few boxes in a row can be good. I know that others are territorial, little chance of 2 Robins nesting anywhere near one another.

Ive got a 600mm overhang on my garden office / cabin roof so I just building 6 boxes to fit underneath - I'm hoping I'm not too late, if I get them fitted this weekend.

I built another bird box on Monday after watching a blue tit examine one of the existing boxes which has been up for a few years. Talk about a thorough inspection!! My goodness, it climbed all over the box checking the sides, the back, the front, then inside. Then the mate came along and checked it out as well. Not sure if they will move in. I put the new box up on Monday. On Tuesday Morning, I'm sure it was the same pair of blue t1ts examined the new box. One then spent 5 minutes pecking at the entrance. I made it the recommended size, but obviously didn't suit the little tit. Fussy beggar
Was real fun writing this reply!! :ROFLMAO:
It went for the full survey you see! wise fella!!

Cheers James

I think there are also issues over certain wood treatments - and not wanting to poison the nesting box occupants.

If the shed is wood you could build boxes into the gable ends and drill entry holes - that way it is less exposed.

And if it is a big shed - how about a tea chest-sized box in the gable end for barn owls?

Also, how about a nest cam?

I'm going to make some for my favourite t-its, got quite a lot of extra pine lying around and some clasp nails.

Back