Negative image

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi

Can anyone tell me a simple/clever way of routing a mirror image of a profile?

For example, when fitting skirting you need to scribe internal corners, if you could create a jig from the profile on the skirting it would probably save a lot of time with coping saw in hand.

I know that I could draw out the shape on a template but it seems that if you have the profle it's a shame that you cant use it. I'm sure that there must be a magic method using a series of bearing guided cutters, bushes and probaly mirrors to achieve it, but I just cant work it out!!

Cheers

Saint

Saint,
Not sure if your talking about routers or not but if you ever get the chance to read Bill Hyltons router book....he covers routing mirror images.....its all about correct bush sizes to cutters or bearing guides but he seems to prefer bushes as its harder to get correct sized bearings.
Its not as straight forward as you think and a bit of maths is required but once youve mastered it youll see the light.
This is only for the router though not sure about the scribing

Ian

Saint,

Bearings and guide bushes will only follow curves with a radius larger than that of the bearing or bush which pretty well eliminates them for detailed work such as following a moulding. The quirks and grooves in a typical skirting would mostly be too small to follow I think.

Back