Needing a new ~TV, 65"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Budget will be about £700
Requirements-
A good sharp pic with plenty of vibrant colours.
I PC game, and also use the TV as a monitor.Not really that into gaming these days, but i like to have the occasional game of Planetside 2. I think it needs a fast response time, but i don't know enough really about that type of thing so advice is always welcome
Not really more than £700, that's about the limit
Sony preferred, or Samsung, but any other make so long as it is good quality.

So who recommends what ?

I use a three year old 65" LG LED tv as a computer monitor and also game on it, Call of Duty etc. Most UHD Panels from mainsteam manufacturers will be fine. I only use the LED as a monitor as I upgraded to a 65" LG OLED just over a year ago and decided I would rater keep it than sell it for a few hundred quid when I had paid £1800 for it two years before, So I replaced my 3 monitor setup with it. The picture on the OLED is absolutely stunning but unfortunately well out of your budget.
As my monitor is an older generation TV the ones available now are just as good or even better and fall in your budget.

Gerry

Why not get a high quality short throw projector instead? Mitsubishi and Sony make some crackers.

I thought Mitsubishi gave up on projection 9 years ago.

At 65-inch there's no compelling argument in favour of projection. Flat panel will give better resolution, contrast, colour accuracy and lifespan at that price point.

Sony, LG, and Samsung are all good.

Why not get a high quality short throw projector instead? Mitsubishi and Sony make some crackers.
Ive thought about that, but i think my budget isnt able to afford such a type to be the equivalent of standard LED TV's.
As ever, and i know its not exactly new tech, but its still not popular enough to bring the price point in comparison to the tech down low enough as yet.
When 40" TV's first came out they were £4k, today you can get one for a few hundred.

I've had a look at Richer sounds. They're a good company by no mistake, but it will probably be coming from the likes of Curry's. The TV's im looking at i dont know enough about the different models from a tech point of view. The 42" im watching currently(Sony Bravia) took me over a year to fully research, to find the best fo all my requirements at my budget - Funnily enough ,by the tie i had made the choice, i'd spent so long researching the 20 or so possibilities that the one I finally decided upon became discontinued :LOL:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9359611?clickSR=slp:term:65 led tv lg:1:57:1£549 Excellent TV/Monitor for the money and there's a couple more in your budget.

Gerry
Again, its researching the models. the one posted is i think a 7000 series, and we have also 8000 series and 9000 series. I did happen upon this one. It appears to be 9000 series.
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/s...ixby-alexa-and-google-assistant-10221969.htmlThis is not to say a later or higher number is better, i found that out researching the 42" It's initially knowing whats in my price range and researching and comparing each. You Tube is very good to get the low down from techie type people who judge tv's in comparison as part of their YT channel..
So thanks for that one also Gerry, I'll add it to my list.
£550 is betterr than £700, which would leave something to go towards maybe a sound bar. But early days yet.

It's easy to get stuck in the comparisons, but remember that you'll only have one telly in your living room so you'll never see that the one you bought has slightly better motion handling, while the one you didn't has marginally more detail in dark scenes.

I used to run a lot of shootouts at work (commercial audio-visual), and it was rare that one option won out convincingly - we did shootouts for microphones, speaker systems, projectors, and more. I'd suggest picking one review site you like, and buying something they rate highly for your intended use(s).

Another vote for Costco and they do Sony, I recently replaced a Samsung with Sony and would say it’s better (as you’d expect, as newer) but also Samsung were no help with an issue and didn’t care I’m not saying Sony will be better I’ll only know if there is an issue! I think the main one I got was Q7.
Also you get 5yrs warranty with Costco.

Back