Need to buy some one-hand operated cramps.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I am in need of four, or maybe six, one-hand operated clamps.
Axminster are offering some at the moment, but the review isn't good.

They are also offering Bessey spring clamps, but they don't look to be in line with things I've heard about Bessey.
Also, up until recently, I used a spring clamp in my painting room, to hold a table easel in place. This worked well, until one day the cramp just gave up under pressure, and snapped, sending bits of clamp all over the place.

Can anyone please, suggest a good, one-hand operated clamp, that will hold down saw and router guides, and larger sheets on trestles; yet are easily removed and put into position? I am not buying these primarily for glue-up purposes. I am really looking for ease of use, for temporary but safe hold downs.

Any advice welcomed

Thanks in anticipation.

John :)

Thanks Neil, Dedee, Krysstel.

That's great!. I wouldn't preclude using these clamps for glue-up jobs of course, but holding-down, is the main job I intend for them. So I wouldn't need 'sash' cramp lengths for now.
BTW, I enjoyed the video from the Wolfcraft site. :lol: :lol: :lol: Reminds me of days in my shop when things go wrong! (Although I might have put more glue on the M&T repair job!)

Thanks folks. I am most obliged.

John :D
PS... Hmmmm! I was looking at the Dakota clamps yesterday. So Thanks especially Krysstel. :D

Benchwayze":11iimm96 said:
Thanks Neil, Dedee, Krysstel.

That's great!. I wouldn't preclude using these clamps for glue-up jobs of course, but holding-down, is the main job I intend for them. So I wouldn't need 'sash' cramp lengths for now.
BTW, I enjoyed the video from the Wolfcraft site. :lol: :lol: :lol: Reminds me of days in my shop when things go wrong! (Although I might have put more glue on the M&T repair job!)

Thanks folks. I am most obliged.

PS... Hmmmm! I was looking at the Dakota clamps yesterday. So Thanks especially Krysstel. :D

John I would without a doubt go for the Bessey, they really are as good as owners say that they are.

Cheers

Mike

John, if you only want to use them as hold downs look out for Aldi or Lidl's offers. I have a set just for this purpose. I've also made "Kemsia" type clamps which are plenty adequate.

+1 for the Bessey EZS's. I've had 4 for over 2 years now and they've had some right abuse, including being used when building the shed and it's roof and timber frame. Still going strong.

So good - I might buy some more!

Dibs

9fingers":6olt40k3 said:
Are the bessey EZS's metal where it matters?
Somehow I just don't trust plastic under constant stress

Bob

Everything holding is steel, but the jaws are plastic. I have 10 of these and they are absolutely fantastic.
I had a couple others but now I only have bessey one handed ones.

Thanks everybody.
The Axminster specials look OK, although not a great deal of difference in price.
I tend to lump the name Bessey in with Festool! I.e., pricey. However, seeing the cramps at Axminster, well it's a thought. If I do go for them, then maybe 4 this month, and four longer ones for sash cramps next month!
What would be a good idea is for firms like Bessey to sell spare bars separately, in different lengths. Might mean a design change, although I suppose they would see that as a bad commercial move! :lol:

John :)

I think Axminster and Rutlands source from the same far eastern supplier.

I've got half a dozen of these:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminste...der-and-clamp-rack--package-deals-prod865614/

They're fine one-handed (tightening), slightly fiddly releasing one-handed (but not impossible), and after a couple of years use still work OK. The plastic isn't showing signs of stress, although the soft pads look a bit nibbled-at now. They do sometimes stick when I put a lot of pressure on with them, but it's unusual, and cleaning usually sorts it. Glue doesn't stick to the metal either. Most of the time they're a good substitute for a G clamp, and get used all the time for holding jigs on the router table. I've never had one slip if it's tight.

The Rutlands equivalent is http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/clamps-&-vices/clamps---bar/DKPBC300/i-beam-pressure-bar-clamps - identical apart from the colour.

HTH,

E.

I'm happy with the Wolcraft - have two pairs, primarily used as hold-downs, thought they will clamp up a joint at a pinch (ho ho)

I have the same Axminster clamps as ETV but don't like using them for the purpose you have in mind John as they are too damn awkward to release. The release mechanism isn't where you naturally reach for it. For my money, for your needs, you can't beat these...http://www.axminster.co.uk/solo-solo-sp ... rod364432/
391507_l.jpg

I have Besseys (bloody fiddly things) , the Axminsters, nasty ones from Rutlands and I find myself always picking these up first.

DO NOT...REPEAT....DO NOT be tempted to buy these (Quick Action Clamp) from B&Q....if you value your knuckles and fingers. I wrote about these a few years back here as they are too dangerous to be used but could never get anyone in Trading Standards to understand why....(pillocks).

Roger makes a good point about release. I think the ones he suggests look pretty good, and are about 65% of the cost of the others.

I can't see the point of the reversible head, incidentally on the ones I have. I think I've used it once, and infrequently, the release button gets squashed and the head comes off when you least want it to!

On the good side, although they all seem to use the same 'ratchet' principle, the 'Axminster/Dakota' ones don't notch the shaft if you use a lot pf pressure, whereas I've had mastic guns (like the orange clamp) that do. That's a pain later, as they then stick where the notch is. I also find nylon jaws are too slippery - they won't grip on the Formica on my router table, for example.

Best one-handed clamp I've tried - and nearly my favourite clamp of all - is the Bessey DuoKlamp:
http://www.besseytools.co.uk/bessey-cla ... v9t6ugnsg5

Like a Bessey parallel clamp, but easily operated with one-hand, both tightening and opening. I have about ten in different sizes and if they made them longer I'd buy those, too (although just noticed that extender contraption at the bottom of the linked page - might have to give that a go :))

cambournepete":17oyzytz said:
Pete W":17oyzytz said:
Best one-handed clamp I've tried - and nearly my favourite clamp of all - is the Bessey DuoKlamp:
http://www.besseytools.co.uk/bessey-cla ... v9t6ugnsg5
I have several of them and find them easy to use and of good quality.

They also seem better value than the earlier bessey suggestion. Curious pricing for the very small 150mm at £22.20 and the 305mm at £13.24? Postage for small orders is a bit steep at £12.50 but halves for over £50 and free over £100 which is easily achieved with Bessey products :D

I was going to wait for the Axminster trip but not sure how much discount we might be offered on the day??

Bob

Thanks Roger,

You could be right. I do want them as hold downs primarily, but also would use them as glue-up cramps if needs be.

I thought at first you were directing me to one of those 'Sealant guns'! But I can see they would work well just for holding down a cutting guide for instance. Cheers.

Now I am looking at the Bessey site too.. Oh spoiled for choice!

I am going to re-saw some 7" x 7" Douglas Fir as therapy, while I decide what I want to spend. (Want, not Can!) (hammer)

Back