Need some help with table saw choices.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark18PLL

Established Member
Reaction score
I have already searched the forum and google but wanted some advice.

I am looking for a new table saw, it will be going into my small garage workshop and possible taken out for work so portability is a must.

The choices i have come up with are as follows.

Dewalt DWE7492 - I like that this has T tracks but it is very noisy and smaller blade.

Dewalt DWE7485 - Same reasons above although i may regret the smaller blade.

Festool CS70 - Top of my budget, i like the pull function but it has no t slots, the one on it is just for clamping apparently. It can be bench mounted or legs can be extended.

Festool TKS80 - Top of my budget, good size blade but it has no t slots and the add-ons are expensive, however i may not need all of them. It can be bench mounted or legs can be extended.

I am a bit stuck on what to choose, the T track thing on the Festool bugs me a little but then again im not sure if i will use it. With the Dewalts i would probably get or make a stand for when i take it out and would also need to upgrade the t track mitre all additional costs.

Thanks

Mark

The lack of slots on the Festools is the main reason I haven't bought one yet. I'm sure the TKS80 is a great saw (at a price) but I like to use featherboards for longer cuts and there seems to be no way to easily attach one. Can't really comment on the Dewalts, though most of their tools do seem to be good quality.

G.

The lack of slots on the Festools is the main reason I haven't bought one yet. I'm sure the TKS80 is a great saw (at a price) but I like to use featherboards for longer cuts and there seems to be no way to easily attach one. Can't really comment on the Dewalts, though most of their tools do seem to be good quality.

G.
Are their any other saws that you are considering?

On the Festool you could add a sliding table, which together with the pull function would make up for the lack of T-slots. But that would be even more expensive, and much more pricy than the DeWalts.

The 7485 is basically a smaller version of the 7492, same quality but less good dust extraction. Andy from the Woodgrafter has a good review of it on Youtube.

Another option is the Metabo TS 254, which has wheels built in (can be folded up) and is comparable to the DeWalt 7492. It does have non-standard miter slots so you can't fit a different aftermarket miter gauge, but you could make a sled. But it would be easier to move around.

I think another question is what accuracy level you need. The Festool saws would probably be a bit more accurate, but the difference might not be so big. If set up correctly, the DeWalts are fairly accurate, especially with their well-designed fence.

Are their any other saws that you are considering?

Not at the moment. I already have a Bosch GTS10J which I'm fairly happy with, though the non standard slot rather offends me and then the non-magnetic table stops me using my Magswitch featherboards! Dust collection isn't the best, but it seems accurate and powerful enough for my purposes.

G.

I’ve been using a gts10j for 12 months and surprised how accurate it is. I made a crosscut sled and used plastic runners, and also made a few featherboards that lock into the slots and they work great.

Thanks for all of the replies, spent most of the day researching (again). I am thinking i might go for the Dewalt DWE7492, i really like the rack and pinion system.
While i think the Festool gear is great i am not convinced they are worth the money, especially when you start adding to it. I also don't think they would be any more accurate as long as the Dewalt is setup correctly and then it would be down to user error. The Festool also do not have any T Track, and that just bugs the hell out of me.

Thanks again.

Mark

What about the good old Dewalt combination or flip over saw DN743N .
Very sturdy and useful as it works as a mitre saw too, comes with its own legs so you don`t need an extra stand, not exactly lightweight but pretty much bulletproof.

Or what you really want once you have seen one is the Mafell Erika 85. (sorry)

Ollie

What about the good old Dewalt combination or flip over saw DN743N .
Very sturdy and useful as it works as a mitre saw too, comes with its own legs so you don`t need an extra stand, not exactly lightweight but pretty much bulletproof.

Or what you really want once you have seen one is the Mafell Erika 85. (sorry)

Ollie
I don't need a mitre saw as i already have one. Thanks for throwing the Erika in the mix and you should be sorry, i have already seen them and they are very nice and very very very expensive lol.

Have you looked at the Evolution Rage 5S? The folding base makes it really handy for a small space. It has a very good fence and the sliding table is good for cross cutting. I have made a cross cut sled for mine and I get very clean cuts.

Can anyone offer advice at the cheaper end of the market, I will be replacing a Scheppach HS105 which did most of what I want for a current price of £250 but I have worn it out in about 4 years so I am looking for something slightly more durable but I don't have the kind of budget. Considering the Evolution Rage but have seen some poor reviews, any thoughts?

I have the dw745, rack and pinion fence, easy change riving knife etc, bought about 12 months ago, its fantastic.... takes a lot of space in my pickup, but awesome for sheet material, ridiculously easy to do celotex for studwork etc ( i set it at 353mm, install a stud level, put in celotex at 353, put next stud in tight to celotex and away you go. The first bay needs to be 330mm so you hit the 1200 centres )

The DeWalt is good but DW are very bad with spares, or so I am told by my local power tool repairer. Mine hasn't worked for years and I can't get it fixed.

Back