need some help routing edges on router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technium

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have some chunks off oak worktop that have been given to me and I am trying to make chopping boards out of them.

I cut them to size on my table saw and then routed over the 4 top sides and 4 bottom sides with a round over bit on my router table but I cant see an easy way of rounding over the 4 vertical corners of the chopping board. If I place the chopping board on its ends it doesnt feel secure enough to then be able to bring inline with the cutter so highly likely it wont route a nice straight rounded edge.

Anyone got any suggestions as id like to be able to do a nice job on this.

thanks

Colin

If your chopping board is end grain then the corners will be straight grain so a block plane and careful sanding.

Use a good quality rasp, then sandpaper. You'd be surprised how quick it is, and you can just draw the curve on one side in pencil (e.g. round the edge of a penny, or whatever), and work to that. Usual rule: saw the waste off close to a tangent of your wanted curve, then you have a lot less to take off by rasp.

I have a Liogier half round which is either 11 or 13-grain (can't remember). It is a lovely thing and leaves a very good finish on hardwood, which hardly needs additional smoothing. Bear in mind that good hand-stitched rasps are handed: if you're a leftie like me you'll probably get better results with a left-handed pattern one, as otherwise they can make patterns of ridges (the better quality ones leave a superb finish though, whichever "hand" they are).

It sounds like a lot of work, but honestly, it's safe, quiet and gentle with almost no setup nor jig making involved. If you're doing Oak, clean the rasp quickly afterwards to prevent corrosion (tannic acid in Oak). I use a suede brush, followed by Liberon lubricating wax - seems to work well.

added wood clamped to the sides help greatly so thanks for the advice, although I might of had the power too high as theres a couple of black marks from router bit burn?

thanks again.

Colin

Back