Need some creative ideas for this project!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, got it now, thanks, not that I will ever need to use it (fingers crossed!)

Nick

Looks good to me as it is and the addition of beading to the legs will spoil the simple lines. I think that Alf's point isa a good one, when you look down on it the overall appearance will eb well balanced.

By the way, I like the chunky legs

Nick,

Most of the design comments that I would have given have already been said. I do think that a slight taper will help and also since as Alf says these things get looked down on, it will make the legs look longer from that angle.

No use to you now of course but I would have made the fluting shallower, which IMO would have lowered the emphasis on thickness of wood - the shape and size of the legs do that all on their own.

I am a fan of wet sanding walnut with oil since it forms its own filling.
But unless I'm doing something foolish you can go through a lot of paper since the oil renders the paper useless after it dries and you don't need the same grit twice on the project.

Smart trick with the veneering. I too have the RSBS14 but I find it really poor even with a good blade in it. Can you let me know if you tuned it up much or indeed what you did to be sure that you could get such an accurate cut. I appreciate that you are showing a thicknessed piece but even so those tolerances elude me on my machine.

I think that the table will look great.

Cheers

Tim

Ok Tim,

I managed to get very good results on my bandsaw by first of all making a new fence, I can take photos if you are interested but basically its an MDF fence that slips over the crude arrangement they supply, I now know that its dead square with the table.

The next thing is a good quality blade, im using blades made by record & its the widest blade the machine can take, 1/2" I think, with 3 or 4 tpi.

The next thing is tension, im no expert when it comes to setting up a bandsaw but I found for this job a fairly high tension was needed, just so that if you raise the fence that has the rollers right up (cant think of the name) you shouldnt be able to move the blade more than 2-3mm with normal pressure, ie/ not pushing the blade like a mad thing :twisted:

Next up was the rollers, I always have them so they are JUST about touching the blade, but in this case I have them actually touching, BUT not so that they are forcing the blade left or right, it makes a horrible sound when on as all rollers are spinning away, but I got great cuts with it like this, im going to set them back & release the tension now that ive finished though.

Oh & feed it in slowly, I cut a 6" deep piece of walnut glued to some ply & the result was very good, better still if you can keep going without stopping half way, I would say I fed at a rate of about 1mm a sec, maybe a little slower.

Do make a better fence though, my one is HEAPS better now, its actually a joy to use, im not sure about your fence but my one was actually a little convex so when I held the wood on the fence it would rock all over the place.

Nick :wink:

Thanks Nick,

As someone has just said on another thread - photos are good so if you get the chance they would be helpful (at the very least)

Cheers

Tim

Okey dokey, I will take a few in the morning & post them, that way you can get some ideas, I think the worst thing of this bandsaw is the fence.

I have the same bandsaw-the fence doth suckuth! :lol:
I regularly rip up to 8 inchs on mine-the saw will take 19mm wide blades too, so go for those with a really low number of teeth (3 skip works great).
The bearings touching the blade gently is the way to get the best cut (along with gentle feed rates) although it is a bit noisy-you are wearing ear and eye protection though, right? :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

I never knew you could fit 19mm blades in this one, thats great, I will order up one of those next time I get some blades.

Yep I always wear ear & eye protection, the high pitch whine you get when having the rollers touching the blade is too annoying without some ear mufflers :x

Ok, here is some shots of my custom fence, I havent fixed it properly to the fence yet as what happened is I used glued it all up on the fence so I could get it all seated nice & square, the glue has just oozed through slightly & its stuck onto the old fence, I have installed a bolt through the back T-Slot but thats about it, its holding ok, but ideally I should really take it off & cut a slot in the top & bolt it down using the T-Slot on the top of the fence, but its holding pretty well for now.

Ok here are the pictures!

fence1.jpg

fence2.jpg

back.jpg

Its simple but works brilliantly, & of course if you find its not quite square, you can still use the little adjusting knobs on the original fence to tow it in.

Thanks Nick for taking the effort. Will get onto it on Monday - godchildren here for the weekend. The dogs are already looking wild eyed - maybe they (and I) can make a bid foir freedom into the workshop tomorrow.

Good news about the 19mm blade - where did you get yours from Philly. (please god don't let it be LN as a one off :lol: )

Cheers

T

I'll take that bet, Alf! :wink:
Nope, it was a Record branded one from the (yes, you guessed it) Record stand at Yandles. Not the finest of cuts but a reliable one.
Cheers
Philly :D

And now I remember why I never gamble... :roll: I dunno, all these posh tools and you're not getting decent bandsaw blades? Boy's a fool... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Now what I find interesting is that this EB bandsaw is absolutely IDENTICAL to my Charnwood and the SIP myself and Bean saw at Good Timber last week :wink:

Back