Need some circles printing.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdiver

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to print out some circles with segmented lines that i can stick to wood. Been doing them with a pencil and compass but i use a few and thought i would just print out a load for future use. What programme would be best for this application?

Ta!

any CAD application will be a good start. autodesk are doing free for hobbyist stuff like 123d (which is really 3d but I'm sure you can work in 1 plane) that will have an array function instead of drawing every line.

If I make clocks, I just download a 12 segment circle pic from the internet.

What are you making? How many segments?

I am making wooden cogs with 20 teeth, that are 90mm diameter. I have made a jig for my router that has a dovetail bit in it. Need to move the circle on by a set amount, so will stick the template to the first one, so i can rotate it 18 degrees to a register mark each time before cutting. I will maybe make a little pawl to locate in the teeth eventually but i'm at the prototype stage and it's easier to do it with a glued on pattern at the moment until i fine tune it.

Thanks for the info so far.

so an indexing plate.

can I suggest an improvement? (I'm going to anyway)
cut a disc bigger than the first cog and use a marker on that instead of on the cog. improved accuracy.

anyways, here you go. :) just check it for scale on your printer. :)

Attachments

• test-Model.jpg
    test-Model.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 190
Thanks all, plenty to work with there.

novocaine, that's a good idea. I can attach a larger cog at the end of the jig. I will add that to my improved version, although it is fairly accurate now at the mock up stage and i made a batch yesterday that were near to spot on. Always room for improvement though.

Thanks Andy, already looked at that and they are not what i want. I said cogs but it's a ratchet that i'm making.

let me know what you need and I'll draw them up for you later when I get chance. joys of being an ex designer, I still have a few toys to play with. :)

I just need some circles divided into 20 segments, that i can print out. The ratchet is 90mm diameter but as you say a larger one would do, though i'm not sure i can fit one much larger on my jig without modifying it. Anyway, i'll go have a play and get back to it later.

oh in that case, I've done it above. :) copy the attachement and print it. thats a 90mm circle with 20 divisions.

Back