Need some advice on buying tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antere07

Reaction score
Hi, new here looking for some advice on getting my first set of tools.

Basicly im 20 just landed a job which require me to have my own set of hand tools. Thing is all other jobs ive had ive been given tools and have had to make do so i know nothing about what brands are the best. I know abit of the brands i have used but not much.

This is what i need to get:
Screwdriver set, Pliers, Tool Box, Waterpump pliers, Hacksaw, Tape, Hammer, Crimps, adj spanner, Spanner set, Pry bar, Boat level, File, Pipe cutter, Socket set, Ratchet spanners.

Ive looked at the normal places Screwfix/Toolstation and the price has come out at about £292 for Screwfix and £260 for ToolStation.

This is all mixed brand stuff ive tried to go mid range in all of what i need ive also seen a draper tool kit which has alot that i need apart from the socket set and spanners but it also has alot more of just general tools.

Google draper 89756 electricians tool kit as i cant post links
That is the tool kit ive been looking at i realise there is alot of extras but the more i get now the less i need to get later.
I have used draper socket sets and spanners before but am not 100% of the quality of the general hand tools

Im just wondering if someone could help me find a decent tool kit or give me a website for cheaper good quality tools. Im trying not to get cheap stuff cause i want this to last me a while untill i have some money to spend on decent tools.

Any help would be much appreciated

For the socket set I would recommend the Halfords Pro range. I have a set that I've use to rebuild quite a few engines and not had a failure from them yet. They are quite cheap for the level of quality.

I was hoping the halfords pro range might come on offer over the august bank holiday or in the near future and then i would grab one. I know they are a good set but i know you can get a good offer on them too.

Any opinions on the tool kit?

Ill have to see what happens when i go for a meeting on tuesday then ill check out the car boot tomorrow if there are any round here or next saturday i know theres a good one on then

Hi I would recomend the 'BACHO' brand for sockets sets and for some of the other tools you are looking for (v.good quality tools)....check out MTS or my tool shed.com. Whatever you decide dont fall into the trap of buying mid-range quality tools,you'll only have to replace them every few years (mistake Iv'e made myself from time to time,draper being one brand). Anyway happy shopping and good luck in your new job! Phil.

Cheers! I'm going to have to buy mid range price tools at the moment due to money situation and what have you. Once I get some money under my belt I can replace them and use them for DIY in the house

Depends a bit on the conditions you're likely to work in. If you're in a position to look after tools, buy the best and you'll only have to buy them once. If you have to work with people of the magnetic-fingered fraternity, buy the cheapest that'll do the job without falling apart, and be prepared to replace them whenever necessary.

For adjustable spanners, Bahco are about as good as any. The phosphated finish ones are very long lasting (and will bear surprising amounts of abuse), or plated if you prefer shiny tools. The rubber grip ones get tatty quite quickly. For larger spanners, try looking out on Ebay for the likes of Britool, King Dick, Stahlwille and Gedore. Facom and Bahco are pretty good, too. Same for sockets. For screwdrivers and water pump pliers, Stanley are not bad, for really good pliers, Elliot Lucas if you can find them. Hacksaw - Eclipse 20T (I've only known one person wear one of those out, and it took him 35 years), and use good blades such as Eclipse, the cheap ones really are worthless. For pry bars, I bought a couple of Melco ones from Machine Mart years ago, and they're excellent.

Cheers mate, ill keep that in mind. To be honest i dont know what i am going to use the most and i am not 100% sure on what kind of sites ill be going to but then i imagine most sites have the 5 finger deal people on them lol

Untill i know what happens on tuesday i wont know what i need and dont kind of thing. Basically ive been on the dole since march after loosing my job as a sign maker cause the company got shut down. Now ive got a new job the job centre always says about helping you get back into work and paying if you need something. Now im thinking if they are going to pay for my first lot of tools ill take advantage abit and get some decent quallity stuff which means i wont have to replace them after a few months but if not then ill have to pay for them myself and that means i can only buy stuff mid range prices cause i cant afford to buy the best of the best stuff. I know i might sound a bit of a scrounge off the government but at the end of the day if this job works out thats a job for me for life so i wont be on the rock and roll again hopefully

I wish you every success in your new job when it comes...tomorrow? It is very demorlising when you cannot work and want to, so I hope it is everything that you want. Even if it isn't, it is a new start with a future and you are young. Life seems long at your age but an awful lot shorter for the old boys looking back. Gain as much knowledge as you can and be better than everyone else. Now you have to work well, do a good job, be reliable, and hopefully be rewarded for your efforts. I am sure many on the forum will be supportive to you when you ask for assistance. Best wishes.

antere07 said:
Hi, new here looking for some advice on getting my first set of tools.

This is what i need to get:
Screwdriver set, Pliers, Tool Box, Waterpump pliers, Hacksaw, Tape, Hammer, Crimps, adj spanner, Spanner set, Pry bar, Boat level, File, Pipe cutter, Socket set, Ratchet spanners.

Hi
I have got tool box hacksaw tape hammer crimps pry bar and files, that you are very welcome to free if it helps you out, but you would need to get down to worcester to collect.

Let me know if this is any good to you.

Good look with the new job
Berns

Cheers mate appreciate it I really do, I'll see what I can do about it I've only got a motorbike so I'll have to see if I can get down any pics?

Don't worry about it my friend, we are only talking about twenty miles or so, and no i have not got any pics.
God when i purchased a moped to get to my first job which cost me £7 which took months to save. I walked 18 miles to fetch it ran out of petrol had no more money and ended up pushing it about the last five miles home, but it was sold to me cheap by a friend of my uncle and i really did appreciate it.

The items i (WAS) offering you are all quality items such as dewalt stanley and record, some of them new and unused.
I obviously misunderstood your original post as i got the impression that you could not afford to be so picky sorry my mistake.

Regards
Berns

Oh nah mate sorry i wasn't being funny asking for pics i was just interested like i said i appreciate it not many people willing to give tools away like that. To be honest ive got that much to sort out over the next few days in regards to gettting my cscs card and prior arrangements i wouldn't have time to walk there which is why i said about the lift

Latest posts

Back