need security lighting advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Nothing too exotic, but I am out of touch now with this kind of thing.
I want an "early warning" gizmo to alert me if someone walks in the front gate at night.
My thinking is a pir unit, that can operate a remote light, preferably wireless.
Then if we are around the back of the house watching TV, if someone does come in the gate a light will go on next to the TV, to make us aware.

Dont need any sirens or anti personnel mines. :roll: 8)

Just a thought, what about a camera instead? I have a Wireless CCTV camera that sends a notification to my phone if something triggers it. It also records the event. It has IR for night vision and is a superb quality image. They are quite inexpensive these days.

That link didnt help much, all the amazon uk ones are out of stock and unknown delivery. but youve given me the technical terms of what I want, ta.

I might go the camera route, but the remote light is the most important part.

Time to start surfing... oh how hate surfing. :roll:

I've sent a message to a mate who has stuff like that If he replies I'll let you know what he says

Failing that;

Attachments

• IMG-20200509-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20200509-WA0003.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 252
Ah, You don't need anything fancy Bob...

duke-16-offset-jaw-bear-trap-127.gif

The screaming will alert you to their presence :twisted:

What I need is really just a pir with a seperate lamp. But I dont want anything with batteries because they will fail and the thing wont work and we will never know.

Its not even a burglar alarm, we are lucky to feel very safe where we are, its just to let us know someone is at the front of the house while we are at the back with the TV up loud (dont use doorbells).

Wireless would be the easiest, but if that means batteries then I can (with some effort) run wires and just seperate the lamp from the PIR.

I have a reolink device. It is probably more tech than you need, but it will give you an idea.....

I have a garage that is not attached to the house, no power, and too far for WiFi, so I have a solar-powered cctv camera that sends alerts(emails) and can be contacted over 3G. It has a Vodaphone data sim in it that costs 4gbp a month. The solar panel keeps it charged up even when using the PIR lights automatically when light levels drop.

It works a treat but the alerts are a little slow for what you want. However, if the location is in wifi range then you could use WiFi instead of 3g - it would be faster, effectively free, and the initial unit will be cheaper too.

Summary:
- If you only want PIR lighting and detection then you should manage with a solar powered unit.
- If you are in range of your WiFi you will have plenty of options
- ReoLink are expensive but work well.

Thanks but were back to batteries again (not to mention the price tags :shock: )
I want something very simple and mains powered so that I dont have to keep checking if the battery is dead or not.

The first one is what I'm looking for nev, thanks. the second is battery again. 8)

nev":1dh21adv said:
Mains powered PIR with your own separate lamp
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLPIR200B.html
I have been using something similar to that for the last week or so, to notify me when badgers emerge from their sett. I just run a mains cable to the sensor, and another cable back to the house with a double socket on the end. In one socket I have a lamp. In the other I have the indoor part of a Lidl doorbell. These always sound when first supplied with power. I had all this anyway, but even if I had had to buy it I would have an audible and visible alarm when movement is detected for very little money.

Latest posts

Back