Need help with Chuck choice, please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been using and learning on a friends lathe so recently bought a union graduate to learn more and turn bigger bowls.

I bought a pro-tek supernova Chuck direct thread thinking it was the right option but it’s doesn’t fit. Rookie mistake, I know. The lathe’s thread 1.5”- 3.5 so I thought direct thread would be right.
Also will I need another Chuck or insert for the out board?
Could anyone help me with deciphering which Chuck will actually fit or whether I just need to order the correct size insert.
Please help, thanks. Patrick

Attachments

• C39FEBBF-1D30-4B6A-9121-1968F47B1B62.jpeg
    C39FEBBF-1D30-4B6A-9121-1968F47B1B62.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
there's a list on here that gives all those details...I'm hopeless at finding stuff ...sorry....
if the chuck is new, would the supplier not take it back in exchange for the correct one.....?
I dont like adaptors that make the chuck stick out further but there may be a screw in adaptor ......like a double threaded tube....
or just sell it and get the right one.....
will have the same problem myself in thenear future when I get my Wadkin RS up and running.....
good luck...

Cheers. Done a bit more research now and found others. Do you think it’s worth me getting a patriot Chuck as I’m wanting to do big bowls and platters. Will it make much difference it being a one piece Chuck compared to backplate and Chuck in regards to vibration?

I also have a Robert Sorby chuck with that thread for a Poolwood lathe. It is double threaded so can also be used on the other end of the spindle for large bowl turning. I presume that the new Sorby chuck is still double threaded (Right and left thread). It might also be worth keeping an eye out for a second hand chuck with that thread on the usual sites. That thread size is becoming rare being replaced by the metric equivalent M33

Fred Taylor

Cheers. Done a bit more research now and found others. Do you think it’s worth me getting a patriot Chuck as I’m wanting to do big bowls and platters. Will it make much difference it being a one piece Chuck compared to backplate and Chuck in regards to vibration?
I have a Patriot Chuck. Had it since I began six years ago. Good quality and worth the money.
Changing to different sized jaws, can be a bit of a pain, but that's because I am impatient. Overall, it's a good sturdy chuck.

Latest posts

Back