Need help with a wood project plan.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am having real trouble figuring out how to make a storage box for my girlfriend. Well not for her literally......i'm not that fed up with her yet..... :D.......

She has asked me if i can make these out of thin MDF.....

d5501745e124ae28423d0b684363435f.jpg

I am having what you might call a mental block on this. I can make the back, sides and front, but cannot for the life of me think how the inside might go.

My girlfriend says it's just a simple step structure, but i think i need a total idiots guide to this one. I needs to fit 12 x 12in papers, but staggered upwards as in the pic.

Thanks for any advice with this one, i'm having one of those days. :roll:

Calv.

Make it from 6mm MDF (birch ply would be better) and rout a 3mm deep housing joint (dado/trench) to hold the internal dividers in place. Then simply glue and pin together.

HTH,

Steve.

StevieB":12v0ghpy said:
Make it from 6mm MDF (birch ply would be better) and rout a 3mm deep housing joint (dado/trench) to hold the internal dividers in place. Then simply glue and pin together.

HTH,

Steve.

Thanks for that Steve, i have'nt got a router but i think it's high time i got even a cheap one. :roll:

What i'm struggling with, is picturing how the inside looks. So if you took the side off, what would it look like? Sorry to sound thick with this, but i think i need an exploded diagram type thing to see how the seperate bits would look.

Hi Calv,

I`m no expert, but i reckon that above the drawers is the base for the 2 paper compartments. Thus you would keep larger ( A4) pieces in the rear compartment and smaller stuff such as envelopes in the front.
So basically you have a tall, slender box with a base, some drawers with a divider above them similar to the base. Above this is a vertical divider which sits halfway between the front and back of the box.
Is this of any use or am i just stating the bleedin` obvious ?

Piggy

To save anyone else sketching it out I have done it but photobucket is closed at the mo for maintenance, will post the sketch when its up & running

J

Latest posts

Back