Need help with a basic box project please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend is into crafts and would love an A3 lightbox, one of these.....

A3 lightbox

At £50, i thought i could easily make one, and it would probably look better too......however i have come across a stmbling block, i have'nt a clue where to start! :oops:

Has anyone any basic ideas of how to knock up a basic box like this?

I have a light attatchment to go inside, so one side would have a hole in it to take the cable for this. Bearing this in mind it has to be accesible so that she could change the bulb.

The surface is white plexiglass i believe, so i'm guessing i could slide plastic sheet up into the box along runners of some sort, then i could block it off at the top and bottom ends to seal it in?

I'll have an area for pencils and stuff at the top like in the pic, i'll just drill holes for these.

It's stupid is'nt it, it seems the most basic project in the world, but i've gone blank on this one. :roll:

Thanks for any advice.

Calv.

Hi Calv

I would make the sides with finger joints. IMO they are ideal for small projects like this. Cut your joints and then make the taper in the sides, I think it will be easier that way.

A thought about the lights you plan to use - make sure they run cool, a box like this with the wrong type of lights inside could get quite hot and if it's used for viewing tranparancies that's the last thing you want.

Hope this kicks you off

regards

Brian

how about making it slightly more complex than that one to show why yours is better.

in principle it is a writing slope with a transparent cover.

so make it as a normal box, ie base, and four sides. finger joints the simplest for sure. then cut a top off at the angle, like cutting the top off any box, so you can hinge it, but think about routing two slots so you could put two pieces of plastic in, then you could slide things between them and work over the top.

what ever type of light fittings you use, you will need a fair amount of air flow, so holes all around i think, space for an on off switch unless you leave that in the plug and lead.

i would suggest looking for daylight bulbs with low heat and power usage.

paul :wink:

Thanks for the help everyone, thats given me some great food for thought. :D

I'll be back when i get stuck. :wink:

Calv.

Calv,
like Paul said, make it like a writing desk (shallow angle towards user) making it easier to "read" and write.
ventilation, yes you could simply drill a couple of holes, but why not vent it properly if your making it with light tight vents and add a small fan to aid circulation?
and hinge it to make bulb changing simple..
also stick some kitchen foil to the inside , making the most of small light output.

Back