Need help understanding Arbor and blade (dado) - Laguna Fusion 3

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimwillsher

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

ok first up, I’m DIY, not pro.

I have a Laguna Fusion 3 table saw, my first table saw. I am looking for a dado set. The spec says it’s a 30mm blade, but when I look at the saw it’s actually a much smaller arbor with a 30mm blade nut, and that blade nut is only wide enough for a single blade (though the screw thread is around 25mm long).

So I’m confused what dado I need. Should I get a 30mm dado with “spacers” (name?) or should I get a dado set based on the exact screw size, in which case what do I do about the blade nut?

Sorry if this is an odd question, but I want to be safe and don’t have the money to buy the wrong thing.

Many thanks.

Jim

I would be surprised if the arbor was long enough to put a dado stack on your saw.
Most new machines don't have long arbors, on some saws like the Deft/Harvey the arbor can be swapped out for a longer one, if its not present already.
Can't say for certain on the new machines, just seen it before on this forum.

If the arbor is not long enough, and you don't want to get one made up (whether that's a good idea might depend on the saw's design.)
that leaves you with finding a wobble saw possibly to suit 30mm bore, or a wider kerf blade than the standard 3.2mm (i think) ones...

Trevanion made an excellent article about tablesaw blades, I will try and find it.
Tom

Thanks Tom. I had also read about most UK/EU saws having short arbors but this does seem to have a reasonable sized arbor. There’s plenty of thread on the screw. Spec says it’ll take a dado of 20mm.

jim

No experience myself but found a thread I had read before.
Cutting solutions seem to have a good range.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/wide-kerf-ftg-table-saw-blade.125602/
Can't find Trevanion's tablesaw blade buying guide, and am guessing he left the forum and took his posts with him??? :(

I would suggest looking for that guide at "the other place" to see what his choice might be.
I am sorry I didn't copy it somehow, as I've been meaning to read it again.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I had also read about most UK/EU saws having short arbors but this does seem to have a reasonable sized arbor. There’s plenty of thread on the screw. Spec says it’ll take a dado of 20mm.

jim
On this video he says it will take a 3/4" dado stack.

Hi Jim
It's a 5/8" diameter & long enough arbour as you worked out.
Caveat: I cannot officially recommend using a dado for CE reasons as we do not supply a floating guard system.
5/8th washer with flats on it is needed. (not the 30mm flange blade one supplied )
Most I know have used a 5/8" bore dado stack.
Can you mail me if poss at [email protected] as I can't remember the code you need to order it as it is a spare part but I'm fairly sure we have them in stock.
Edit for anyone else reading this - the 5/8th washer required is Code: F3#034 - approx £5 plus vat and P&P - New washers due Nov 2021
Cheers, Nick

Fantastic, thank you everyone.

@pcb1962, thank you for the video link. I read a lot of reviews before I purchased but somehow missed that deep-dive.

@Nick thank you, I have just sent you a mail. I fully accept that any advice is unofficial due to the UK's position on dado etc.

Thanks again everyone for your great replies.

Jim

IGM tools and machinery sell a dado stack I am also looking for a dado stack for my luguna fusion 3 but not at the moment it was something for the future

IGM tools and machinery sell a dado stack I am also looking for a dado stack for my luguna fusion 3 but not at the moment it was something for the future
Hi did you manage to get a dado stack for this saw? If so can you recommend any that you’ve tried, I’m looking for one for my own saw. Thanks.

Back