Need help making suitable handles!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Howdy Folks!
As you may (or not) know, I have been building a "Krenov" style cabinet for the last 6 months or so. I have almost completed it, only the drawers to finish making and door handles and drawer knobs to make and fit. Thats where I could do with some ideas......
Have a look at the front of the cabinet...
DSCF0006.jpg

The figure of the wood is pretty busy-I was going to make handles and knobs from some ebony, which would go nicely with the spalted lines in the Sycamore. But what shape? And how big??
There are more pics here to give you an idea of the size and shape of the cabinet.
http://www.philsville.co.uk/workinprogress1.htm
I look forward to your helpful advice,
Philly :D

Small, streched diamonds (taller than they are wide) in Ebony.

Say, 1.25" by 1/2"

Looking really good, Philly. =D>

Well you've got some nice bookmatched fronts there, so you don't want to detract from them, as you say... Hmm, I'm not sufficiently steeped in Krenovian cabinets, but I would guess looking at a few of his, and the many he's inspired, would likely produce something that'd say "this is the one" to you. To be honest I'd probably try something like a simple, slim, oblong shape; horizontal on the drawers and vertical on the doors, to try and echo the simple lines of the cabinet. Maybe a slightly concave curve on the bottom of the drawer ones and the outer(?) edges of the door ones, to tie in with that curve on the top rail, and also to "welcome" the fingers, if you see what I mean. But I'd try it in Photoshop or something first, just to give myself a rough idea before tool hit wood. And even then I'd probably do a mock up or two attached with some blue-tak or summat and fiddle. :D I wonder if ebony might be too definite a tone though? Hard to tell from pics of course, but might be too black perhaps? Depends on the individual piece of ebony to some extent of course. FWIW, which ain't much. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Philly,

Personally on this cabinet I would probably use some not-round shape of nostril pulls (lined "holes"). The pulls would be proud of the surfaces and have rounded form above the surfaces.

Maybe a not quite oval placed horizontaly on the drawers and not quite oval placed vertically on the doors.

Most likely would use walnut to rim/line the holes.

I think Alf's suggestion of using Photoshop to alter the pic to view options is a good one no matter what you decide.

Nice cabinet Philly!
Handles are a personal thing, but for me I echo what Alf said above. I would probably go with a 1 slim rectangular handle with a wasted back and possibly a gentle curve on each side, then split in two and fix to the cabinet so as to give the impression of just one handle. Same for the bottom. Ebony would probably work well disguising the fine joint line between the two. Main thing is to keep them fine to compliment the cabinet.

Just my thoughts.

Philip

I saw a great Krenovian cabinet once with some very clever handles on it. They were, (this is genius), a long screw drilled through a tennis ball into the cabinet. Looks very striking!

i'll get me coat :roll: :wink:

Philly

That is a beaut of a cabinet.

Now my idea is a little different to that suggested so far. I think you need a break to the straight centre line, but one that does not obscure the matched grain. So I would rout an oval or circle into the centre (half to each side of a door), to a depth of mid-thickness of the panels, then carve inward on each side for recessed finger pulls (i.e. the finger pulls are tucked under a lip of the routed "semi-oval/circle"). This way you see the grain, break the straight line, but retain its flow.

I hope this makes sense.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for your ideas, folks!
Got some good ideas to play with (and some plasticine!!!!).
I'll let you know how I get on.
And Tim-I probably wont go for the Screwfix ones. They don't do them in black :lol: :roll:
Cheers

And Tim-I probably wont go for the Screwfix ones. They don't do them in black

Thats what Hammerite spray is for :lol: :lol:

Its a really nice cabinet and actually, what Derek described above is what I meant in my first comment. I'm planning something similar in a spice chest I'm making.

Cheers

Tm

The last Krenov cabinet I saw didn't join at the centreline - he left the wacy edge, just removing the bark and sanding it. No need for handles as the hole was big enough for a finger-hold. Would you consider cutting?

Do you even need Handles to detract from the clean looks, how about some of those press to release cabinet catches that are found on Hi-Fi cabinets etc.? Or something a little bigger like This

It doesn't quite look right without handles-too "boxy". :cry:
I can't quite bring myself to cut holes in that lovely timber (and it wasn't part of the original design-I did kinda have a plan! :roll: )
Thanks to everyone for their input-gonna spend the afternoon playing around with ideas (and sticking bits of shaped clay on the cabinet!!)
Cheers

Philly":33cx5mjm said:
It doesn't quite look right without handles-too "boxy". :cry:

How about one long full height "shallow" handle in the same wood as the frame fixed centrally to one door overlaping central join. (Open first door, hand inside to open other)

Philly

One thing to consider, in my opinion, is that you do not want to introduce more rectangles or straight lines in the form of handles. It would be too much. My choice would be two half-circles, OK if not recessed then standing proud. I would not choose the same timber as the frame for this - too boring. Perhaps the timber from the doors, trying to match the grain. I think if you considered ebony you may as well cut semi-circular holes in te doors since it will lokk the same.

To think about.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Interesting. Here's me thinking suddenly introducing circles and such would be too much. Gotta love design haven't you? :lol:

Philly, where's the cabinet going to live? That might give you some inspiration, unless you really want it to "stand alone". I must say, I don't envy you the decision, hardware on furniture is like picture frames on paintings; it can make or break a piece. No pressure though, eh? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Kernov would've hand carved a pair of subtle handles, small, unobtrusive so's not to detract from the panels.. concealed door catches wouldn't be out of place either...

Back