Need help improving Shop lighting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domingos

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a small workshop about 15 x 20ft with rough cement floor(which I can't change), white walls and low roof(from 8 feet to about 7) right now I only have a 5000lumen light lamp in the middle but I need more. It feels like I'm working in a cave. I need light and over here I can't find much(Portugal) information or light fixtures that don't leave me broke.
Does anyone have any recommendations from amazon.co.uk or .es? I can't spend over 150£.

Regards
Domingos Teixeira

Doing lighting design well is difficult, but I've just been through this as part of refitting my workshop and can probably offer some pointers later from what I've learned; although have to cook lunch right now so may be a few hours

Hi

Just make yourself some lighting boards, basically fit lamp battens to a board and use 10 Watt Led daylight bulbs. I use five bulbs in a central board that illumimates my workshop. This gives sufficient background lighting to work in but then I have a magnetic lamp that I can position on any machine I need that extra light. When doing more intricate marking out or such then I may also wear an LED headtorch which really illuminates the workbench or use a larger LED flood light.

These are the lamp holders, I used four one on each corner of a 300mm sq board Angled Batten Lamp Holder BC 2.52

and one of these central, Straight Loop-In Batten Lamp Holder BC 2.52

and all connected together using WAGO connectors. You must have a local DIY store which will sell all these parts. Much cheaper than going for decent LED panels, yes you can get cheap LED panels but using bulbs is better unless you can afford decent LED panels.

pipper miss-read the title again:sneaky:

but the below may help you

My shop is a little more than double yours in size with ceilings ranging from 9' to 11'. I have 64,000 lumens of light produced by 16 batten fixtures of about 2"x1 1/2" x 5'long. To get the same light levels in your space you would be looking at about 8 fixtures. Basically you are looking for about 100 foot candles or Lux per square foot, which is about 1,000 lumens, to get even light throughout the shop. I bought mine from China and 3 or 4 guys in the local wood club have bought since on my recommendation. Most recent one should have his in a few days. They were about $17US (late in 2016) each but the shipping will be the same or more (FedEx) but should still be within your budget unless you get dinged with high import costs. I you want to go this route let me know and I'll dig out the link to the company and then you can get what suits you or the equivalent Amazon product. Mine are 6,000K which is a colour temperature closer to mid day sunlight where indoor light from an incandescent bulb is about 3,000K to 4,000K. A warm light more like early evening sunlight.

Pete

I've 12 600x600 6000k panels in my 30m2 workshop and it's a great place to work. Couldn't tell you how many lumens they are each. People regularly think I've put skylights in the roof.

They probably aren't quality panels at £24 each. But they illuminate, don't cause eye strain, and look like I've not bothered putting a roof on.
🤷‍♂️

I have gone to LED battens they are very cheap these days IP65 1200mm were about £20 each, they are 35 watt but very bright, mine are 6000k which is supposed to be "daylight" colour.

Ollie

I have gone to LED battens they are very cheap these days IP65 1200mm were about £20 each, they are 35 watt but very bright, mine are 6000k which is supposed to be "daylight" colour.

Ollie
Basically the same as what I have but mine were 40 watt equivalent and a touch cheaper. Nice having lots of light.

Pete

My shop is a little more than double yours in size with ceilings ranging from 9' to 11'. I have 64,000 lumens of light produced by 16 batten fixtures of about 2"x1 1/2" x 5'long. To get the same light levels in your space you would be looking at about 8 fixtures. Basically you are looking for about 100 foot candles or Lux per square foot, which is about 1,000 lumens, to get even light throughout the shop. I bought mine from China and 3 or 4 guys in the local wood club have bought since on my recommendation. Most recent one should have his in a few days. They were about $17US (late in 2016) each but the shipping will be the same or more (FedEx) but should still be within your budget unless you get dinged with high import costs. I you want to go this route let me know and I'll dig out the link to the company and then you can get what suits you or the equivalent Amazon product. Mine are 6,000K which is a colour temperature closer to mid day sunlight where indoor light from an incandescent bulb is about 3,000K to 4,000K. A warm light more like early evening sunlight.

Pete

I started out on exactly the same page as you, aiming for around 1000 Lux illumination using LED battens, and have been pleasantly surprised by how much proper levels of illumination have improved my enjoyment and productivity; Though personally went for 4000k temperature because I find it easier on the eyes...

As an aside, because lumens are about perceptible light; a "warmer" colour temperature fixture will give slightly less lumens for a given wattage, because the human eye is more sensitive to blue light as found in "cool" lights.

Doing lighting design well is difficult, but I've just been through this as part of refitting my workshop and can probably offer some pointers later from what I've learned; although have to cook lunch right now so may be a few hours

There's a couple of things to consider with lighting design to get the most out of it, first is the level of illumination, which is usually stated in Lux (Lumens per Square Meter), BS EN 12464-1 (Light and lighting – Lighting of work places – Part 1) gives a lot of detail on what level's are appropriate for different tasks, which are tabulated below:

lighting-levels.jpg

This suggests that depending what you're doing, a luminance level somewhere between 500 and 1500 Lux would be appropriate.

Knowing that you can use the area of your space (for a 15 by 20 ft space, that's about 4m × 6m = 24m²) to calculate the total illuminance in lumens needed to provide that for your space, so taking a middling value of 1000 Lux × 24m² = 24000 Lumens total.

That's the easy bit.

The harder bit it physically laying those out so that you can achieve a fairly constant average illuminance, with minimal shadows; in this respect using a larger number of lower output fittings ("Luminares") spread across the ceiling evenly is a much better plan than a small number of high-intensity fittings.

You also have to be aware of any ceiling obstructions which will cast shadows/block light, and the reflectivity of your walls when planning this, as that will have an impact on how well the light is averaged across the whole room.

Putting that into practice, when I was lighting my 3.5m × 7.2m workshop with 2.2m ceilings, I went for three independently controllable sets of lights running longways:
  • Two along the left and right edges of the workshop ceiling (white for reflectivity)
    • 4 × luminaires casting 2000 lumens each
    • 1200mm long "light batten" type lights
    • 400mm in from the wall - (white walls which reflect most of the light back into the room)
    • On 1800mm centers, with 900mm between the end walls and the first/last fitting.
  • One along the center of the workshop ceiling
    • 4 × luminaires casting 4000 lumens each
    • 300mm × 1200mm "panel" type
    • Suspended to be at the same height level as the luminaires at the side of the room.
    • On the same 1800mm center pattern.
In practice that means I get a variety of illumination options:
  • 300 Lux with just one set of side lights on (useful for welding, to have some working light, but ensure there's no backlight going down into my shield from behind),
  • 650 Lux with minimal shadows cast with both sets of side lights on.
  • 650 Lux overall with some shadows, but a more intense 1000 Lux light patch in the center of the workshop with just the downlights
  • 1300 Lux overall with No Shadows and an area of around 1700 Lux in the center of the room where my Surface Plate and inspection bench is going
I really like the flexibility of that setup, and am glad I spent the time thinking carefully about how to lay out the fittings to get an even distribution of light, and minimise the potential to cast shadows over my work.

@Domingos, I hope that's given you some things to think about so you can work out what's important to you in terms of lighting, and how the layout of your workshop will dictate what type, size, number and power of luminaires you fit...

Hopefully once you've done that then you should be able to achieve your optimal lighting setup quite happily.

Last edited:
I cant seem to open file chooser to post a pik, but, i bought 10 x led batten lights off ebay for 49 quid last year. I was fully expecting them to be absolute rubbish but i just wanted them for the shed and loft. I wired one ip to a plug, plugged it in and was bliwn away by the light. I used 8 of them spaced out in a 40 foot shipping container, its extremely well lit and no fear of dark spots or shadows!

Ps, when i took the cover off 1, theres 2 strip of leds that run down the sides of the fitting. I dont know how long they will last, but so far so good

Ive just discovered 5foot twin batten LED lights - superb - outshone my aged same size fluorescent fitting by multiples
Also round internal only bulkhead style LED again very good and relatively inexpensive

I have a small workshop about 15 x 20ft with rough cement floor(which I can't change), white walls and low roof(from 8 feet to about 7) right now I only have a 5000lumen light lamp in the middle but I need more. It feels like I'm working in a cave. I need light and over here I can't find much(Portugal) information or light fixtures that don't leave me broke.
Does anyone have any recommendations from amazon.co.uk or .es? I can't spend over 150£.

Regards
Domingos Teixeira
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083TCNFZH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1My shop is smaller than yours and I have 2 of these. Give great light. You can get then with ES fitting as well which I guess you have in Portugal? I had a concrete floor which I put thin rubber on but not much better. I then got a load of part18mm OSB boards for nothing so made a patchwork floor covering. Massive improvement on the feet and warmer. What are timber prices like there? I have a place in Fuerteventura and prices there are horrendous

I've 12 600x600 6000k panels in my 30m2 workshop and it's a great place to work. Couldn't tell you how many lumens they are each. People regularly think I've put skylights in the roof.

They probably aren't quality panels at £24 each. But they illuminate, don't cause eye strain, and look like I've not bothered putting a roof on.
🤷‍♂️
+1 here.
It is the cheapest solution to the amount of light you can get whilst being really easy to install and take up the least height when installed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083TCNFZH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1My shop is smaller than yours and I have 2 of these. Give great light. You can get then with ES fitting as well which I guess you have in Portugal? I had a concrete floor which I put thin rubber on but not much better. I then got a load of part18mm OSB boards for nothing so made a patchwork floor covering. Massive improvement on the feet and warmer. What are timber prices like there? I have a place in Fuerteventura and prices there are horrendous
Here in Portugal they are going up but still not that bad(I think). I bought two 6"x6"x10ft(4 roubo bench legs coming up) eucalyptus beams for 18 bucks each. Two months ago they were supposed to have cost about 15 but I still think it's not as bad as in other countries. The only problem is I have to make do with eucalyptus and pine as I can't find anything else around my neck of the woods.

I cant seem to open file chooser to post a pik, but, i bought 10 x led batten lights off ebay for 49 quid last year. I was fully expecting them to be absolute rubbish but i just wanted them for the shed and loft. I wired one ip to a plug, plugged it in and was bliwn away by the light. I used 8 of them spaced out in a 40 foot shipping container, its extremely well lit and no fear of dark spots or shadows!
Do you have a link you can share?

Pete
Do you have a link you can share?

Back