NEED HELP! How to remove tacky osmo oil from worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage

Reaction score
Hoping one of you wise experienced lovelies can help! 🙏

I've redone my oak worktop as in re oiled it, but, I put wood stain on first, then Osmo oil next day, 24 hours later and its still feels damp/slightly tacky, I'm thinking the oil can't penetrate the wood because of the woodstain? I wanted to take it off and re do it :rolleyes: So, can I wipe it with anything, white spirits ? and if so how long should I wait to re oil it?
Any help will be really really really appreciated 🥺🙏🙏🙏🙏

It could be that it is taking longer to dry due to the wood stain not having enough time to fully dry before you put the Osmo on , if it were me I would leave it another 24/48 hours before making the decision to try removing it:)

Did you apply the oil then leave it, or apply the oil then 20 mins later wipe off the excess ?.

I used a hard wax oil, likely very similar to the Osmo, on my workbench. The first coat was absorbed almost entirely, so there wasn't much to wipe off. The second coat a few days later was a different story. I tried to apply it to the entire worktop as I did with the first coat, and when I tried to wipe it off, the oil was very sticky and would not wipe off. I let it dry for a week and then sanded it off for another attempt. This time, I applied the oil in smaller sections and wiped it off in accordance with the instructions.

Whats the name of that stuff Mike ?.

With osmo, i put it on and about 20 mins after that wipe it off. I then leave it about a day or two, give it a light rub down, and apply a 2nd coat the same way. On, 20mins, then off.
If i was doing a large surface, id apply then wipe clean in about 5 mins. I wouldnt try to do a big surface as i think its on too long. I've been treating it as i would danish oil, and thus far no stickiness probs.
Mentholated
Good for the sinuses too I shouldn't wonder.

Whats the name of that stuff Mike ?.

With osmo, i put it on and about 20 mins after that wipe it off. I then leave it about a day or two, give it a light rub down, and apply a 2nd coat the same way. On, 20mins, then off.
If i was doing a large surface, id apply then wipe clean in about 5 mins. I wouldnt try to do a big surface as i think its on too long. I've been treating it as i would danish oil, and thus far no stickiness probs.

Here is a photo of the can. This is a semi-gloss oil for floors and furniture and is what I used for the MFT-style workbench top. The instructions are nearly the same as the Osmo, but the time between applying and wiping is 10 to 15 minutes with at least 24 hours between coats. Unfortunately, I tried to apply the wax to the entire top, as I did with the first coat, before wiping it off. By then the oil started to gel and was like moving treacle across the surface.

The second time, I applied the oil to a quarter of the worktop at a time, and am very happy with the results. I was concerned I would see lines between the sections, but the top looked uniform.

Oil.png

Back