Need help choosing a non-gas welder for 6mm steel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

As I am sure you all know finding a decent welder is a bit of a minefield, so I am hoping someone here has suffered that pain and can recommend one that will, in my case, weld 8mm threaded to 6mm knife stock.

I am utterly new to welding and there is a lot of confusing info and what seems to be substandard kit out there. I would stretch to about 200 quid but no more really. Im jsut really confused as to what to get.

If anyone can help I would be grateful, as would im sure someone else in a similar situation.
If your local welding supplier supplies shop and have a word with them.
Hi

As I am sure you all know finding a decent welder is a bit of a minefield, so I am hoping someone here has suffered that pain and can recommend one that will, in my case, weld 8mm threaded to 6mm knife stock.

I am utterly new to welding and there is a lot of confusing info and what seems to be substandard kit out there. I would stretch to about 200 quid but no more really. Im jsut really confused as to what to get.

If anyone can help I would be grateful, as would im sure someone else in a similar situation.
Hi have a word with your local welding supplier supplies shop. I have a small esab unit and it is good, i work with 3 > 6mm steel.

I know this thread is a little old, now, but I have insomnia so catching up on my reading

A cheap buzz box, running 6013 2.5mm rods would be my preferred method (as it is for most welding tasks).

ALSO.
No-one has mentioned this, and might be relevant to a "new" welder:
If the "8mm threaded stock" is just bought in "all thread" rather than something hand-made from bar stock, it will be galvanised making it VERY difficult to get a good weld (and also gives off toxic fumes). Soaking in vinegar/citric acid for a couple of days (or longer) will remove the galvanising.

Last edited:
Back