Need help Bench Top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webby

Established Member
Reaction score
I really do need some help as regards what do i put on the top of my new bench (i have the base done i.e legs)
I have been around most of the kitchen suppliers to obtain a damaged work top to no avail in my area :cry:

so i have come up with some alternatives and this is where i need your help :D

25mdf with a top sheet of ....hardboard?
two sheets of 18mdf plus a top sheet of ....hardboard
two sheets of 18mm ply plus a sheet of ....hardboard
reason for hardboard when it gets damaged can renew but can only find 3mm thick hardboard

or have you any other suggestions that i may peruse ........the thought comes to mind cant see the wood for the trees

or in my case cant make my mind up ... :?

thanks in anticipation
Dave :O)

Personally I always top my benches with chipboard and treat it as sacrificial - as it gets cut/drilled I just take it off and replace it.

Dave, I'd go for the two sheets of either 18 or 25mm mdf with oil-tempered hardboard over the top. If you can source a decent quality of ot hardboard it's really dense, solid stuff and far better than the normal fluffy offering...only available though in 3mm thickness. I'd stick it down to the top of the mdf with a few strips of ds tape - Rob

I'd go for three sheets of 18mm MDF, lipped (softwood would do) then glued together. Wouldn't bother with the hardboard. The MDF will stand up quite well to normal use. Just wax it occasionally. That's how I did mine

Workbench1.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

thanks Rob and Paul ...looks like MDF then

bench ...
looks the dogs..... danglies

what do you wax it with ?

and what size dogs are you using (holes in top) and where do you purchase dogs (i think that is what you call them ) or do you make your own

Dave

I wax it with Liberon Black Bison. I use Veritas dogs they fit in a 3/4" or 19mm hole. I've modified the bench recently by fitting a Veritas quick-release tail vice and I'll be fitting the Veritas twin-screw vice on the front. Here's a recent picture

Vices20.jpg

I've been using the bench for about 12 years now and it's still as good as new. I originally built it as a temporary measure until I could afford something better. However, it's been so good I've decided that I don't need a better one :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I admire Paul Chapman's discipline in keeping his benchtop in a "one careful owner" state :), but I couldn't do it myself - my sacrificial surface is several years old now and well overdue for replacement - scuffed, scored, stained and generally hacked about (particularly round the front vice area).

I urge you to make a realistic assessment of your work habits (be honest, now!) - messy/chaotic v. clean/neat/tidy. If you are at the "clean/neat/tidy" end of the spectrum, well and good - otherwise, use a sacrificial top.

Dodge":k069zedf said:
Personally I always top my benches with chipboard and treat it as sacrificial - as it gets cut/drilled I just take it off and replace it.
Me too - I've replaced the top of my bench 3 times in 30 years.

Back