Need hands on help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi people. I am a new guy, and very inexperienced trying to learn woodwork from books. I know this is a bit of a cheek, but If one doesn't ask.
I am trying to find someone who would be interested in teaching me the art of furniture making. Hopefully I could help around the workshop, (no charge, obviously), and in return learn about furniture making.
Four years ago I broke my leg, not being able to do much about the house I tried my hand at woodwork, I got a book out from the library and built a side table at the desk in the dinning room.
I am 49 years of age, heres the crunch, I am on crutches, and live in the Gosport, Fareham area in Hampshire.
I would really appreciate meeting with someone to discuss the possibilities.

Make enquiries at your local library, they usually have a list of groups on most activities.

Otherwise ask members here if using hnd tools at home.

Hi Gary,
Just a thought mate what about enroling yourself on a college course in furniture making. I know chichester college run some brillant courses thats not to far away from you if you drive. This is the time of the year to think about enrolling as spaces get filled pretty quick for the new term.

Have you got any pics of your side table?, think about making one myself.

Simon

Hi, thanks for the replys.
Since i've had the PC I keep forgetting about the library, good idea, will pop down there.

Chichester sounds good, but as I'm not earning at present, and my wife is the only one earning, and we are trying to do up the house, I'm thinking that the course fees plus petrol from Gosport might be more than we can afford. I will look into it though.

Thank you all for your response. - Gary.

Hi Gary,

As a mature student looking at a 'full time' course leading to a qualification (e.g. City & Guilds) you may well find you would have no fees to pay. Might be woth an enquiry?

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi Trev, like the idea. I tried to reply four times yesterday, don't know what was wrong, the internet link just broke off.

I am currently employed, although not working. Work won't have me because I'm on crutches. I have spoken to my wife, (the bread winner), and she agrees that if the collage will take me on on crutches that I should leave work, (rubbish job, min wage), and do the course. Monday I will check out Highbury Collage.

I shall return with news.
Thanks for the idea. - Gary.

hi gary
i have just finished a year at chichester college doing the first year furniture making course. I was a complete novice to start and my abilities and confidence are improving all the time. Even with the numerous mistakes i have made i have to remind myself i have been learning. I myself am 20 yrs old and there were 12 of us on my course with ages ranging from 17 to 50's.
I have enjoyed it and shall be returning to chichester college next academic year to start machine made furniture making. My tutor for this year has been Christian Notley and i believe he will be taking over the furniture department from now on. Simon is right about enrolling quickly, Christian has given us the information on next years courses and is encouraging us to get in quickley. If you are interested chichester college is having there annual show on the 2nd of july in which the furniture department will be showing there pieces. might be worth a look maybe
adam

gary you might be able to claim some benifits to off set the cost of the courses ask your local cab every little helps

Hi Roger,

They wont have me because of Health & safety, also, I am unable to do my job properly whilst I am on crutches as it entails carrying things from one end of the factory to the other.

Gary.

Hi Gary

Sorry to hear that. Please tell me to mind my own business/I don't know all the facts etc....but I thought that these days, even if you have a bad accident or illness, that a company cannot discontinue your employment without your agreement?

Roger

Hi Roger,

I am still employed by the firm, they just don't like the idea of me on the shop floor whilst on crutches for safety reasons.

I am trying to find alternative employment. This firm is pretty naff. I am also going to start a one day a week cabinet making coarse at Highburry collage near Portsmouth. Thanks to the wife.

Regards. - Gary.

Back