Need advice on what to buy...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm to the point with my scrolling that I have been making more and more segmentation projects for customers and recently delved into intarsia a bit...I have been using flex sanders in my drill press but need to move up to a dedicated machine for the sanding. I will still use the flex sanders but would like also to be able to use pnematic (sp?) sanding drums also...There is also another reason for getting a dedicated machine for this....we should also be able to put buffing wheeels on it to buff projects from the lathe and ringmaster...What I need to know is what speed sander/buffer is the best to purchase. And does HP play any part in it giving me problems later down the road. I will want a sander/buffer with two shafts...one on each side. I have seen two speeds out there....1725 and 3450....I was thinking the 1725 but I really don't know what would work for both.....any and all input would be highly appreciated.
Lin

Hi Lin,

Don't think I've welcomed you yet, so Welcome!

That's a tough one. But I sohuld think the slower of the two speeds would be best for sanding, but the buffing may be best on the higer rpms.

That said, if you were to just by the mandrel and add the higher rpm motor you could reduce the speed via different sized pulleys, much like a belt drive lathe.

A double-ended mandrel is available from Lee Valley.

Mike

Back