Need advice on selling woodworking machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluntsy

Reaction score
*EDIT* Images added

Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping someone can help.

My Dad was a keen woodworker, and sadly passed away a few months ago quite suddenly. My sister and I are in the process of sorting his possessions, which include a number of heavy duty woodworking machines (listed below). All appear to be in very good condition.

RDM-2801F
Felder AD531 single phase
Minimax S45 narrow bandsaw single phase
Sedgwick morticer
xcalibur table saw single phase

I have no idea how to price these machines for selling on Gumtree/Ebay. Can anyone advise?

I've contacted a few companies but few responded and those that have offered what I think is a low price.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give,

Sarah

Attachments

• IMG_7399.JPG
    IMG_7399.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_7375.JPG
    IMG_7375.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_7355.JPG
    IMG_7355.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_7390.JPG
    IMG_7390.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_7366.JPG
    IMG_7366.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_7381.JPG
    IMG_7381.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 275
Basic advice would be to get the model number, make etc, go to ebay, enter machine details and change your search criteria to sold.
There ya go, current listing price at sold values.

Sorry for your loss.
Take care
Chris

Hi Sarah, sorry to hear about your father. Regarding the S45 Bandsaw. This machine has been in production for many years and has undergone at least 4 major revisions. The machine details are usually stamped onto a plate near the motor and under the table. I sold mine on Gumtree back in February this year for £750, it was a single phase machine built in 2001. I had a lot of interest and no haggling on price. I know the S45 fairly well and they are around £2000 new. If you need any further help on identifying it better let me know.
Regards
Nigel

It really all depends on the condition and the age of the machines, just a rough guide just from having seen hundreds of listings:

Felder AD531 = £800 minimum for one that's in quite a rough, old state, one in a cleaner, newer model would easily fetch £1200-£1500.
Minimax bandsaw S45 = These tend to go for around £400 for an older, brown model, £700ish on the newer white end of the scale.
Sedgwick Morticer = Great little machines which are always in demand, the only problem was they built them so tough and robust that there's an massive abundance of them! :lol: £350-400 is about the going rate for the older green models with the cast iron base, metal wheel, and sprung balanced head. The newer blue/white models tend to fetch anywhere from £400 - £750 depending on age and condition, Sacrilege really as the older model is definitely the preferred one in my mind.
Xcalibur table saw = Hard to say without knowing the size of the machine as Axminster has a few model sizes.
RDM-2801F = No idea what this is, a google shows a generic chinese pillar drill. If that's the case you'd probably be looking around £200 for it.

Dealers tend to offer rubbish prices and sell for sky-high profit.

ndbrown":3poj30gh said:
Hi Sarah, sorry to hear about your father. Regarding the S45 Bandsaw. This machine has been in production for many years and has undergone at least 4 major revisions. The machine details are usually stamped onto a plate near the motor and under the table. I sold mine on Gumtree back in February this year for £750, it was a single phase machine built in 2001. I had a lot of interest and no haggling on price. I know the S45 fairly well and they are around £2000 new. If you need any further help on identifying it better let me know.
Regards
Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thank you very much for responding, and for offering to help. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the plate but I do have one of the machine - can you identify it?

Attachments

• IMG_7366.JPG
    IMG_7366.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 279
Trevanion":3ilvwymj said:
It really all depends on the condition and the age of the machines, just a rough guide just from having seen hundreds of listings:

Felder AD531 = £800 minimum for one that's in quite a rough, old state, one in a cleaner, newer model would easily fetch £1200-£1500.
Minimax bandsaw S45 = These tend to go for around £400 for an older, brown model, £700ish on the newer white end of the scale.
Sedgwick Morticer = Great little machines which are always in demand, the only problem was they built them so tough and robust that there's an massive abundance of them! :lol: £350-400 is about the going rate for the older green models with the cast iron base, metal wheel, and sprung balanced head. The newer blue/white models tend to fetch anywhere from £400 - £750 depending on age and condition, Sacrilege really as the older model is definitely the preferred one in my mind.
Xcalibur table saw = Hard to say without knowing the size of the machine as Axminster has a few model sizes.
RDM-2801F = No idea what this is, a google shows a generic chinese pillar drill. If that's the case you'd probably be looking around £200 for it.

Dealers tend to offer rubbish prices and sell for sky-high profit.

Thanks for your advice. I've added images now so does this give you any more to go on? One dealer has offered £3000 for everything above - does this seem a good price to you?

Trevanion":200b4z41 said:

This isn't an Axminster model, it is imported by Woodford Tooling (I believe). Highly regarded machine.

It is possible towards the upper end of dealer prices. You could certainly get more from individual private sales but will take more of your time and undoubtedly bring you into contact with a few timewasters on the way.
A lot depends on the the urgency to get it cleared versus priority to maximise funds for the estate.

You could do a lot worse than advertise on this forum but the rules state you must have an asking price for everything ie you can't run an auction or ask for offers. Neither can you advertise anywhere else if it is listed here.
Another excellent place to advertise free is https://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/

good luck

Where are you based? I'd be interested in the bandsaw.

I'd ebay and gumtree them if I were you. You will have to pay commission but should get a good price

I’ve just seen the pictures, that kit seems to be in very good nick. I hadn’t realised that it was all fairly new kit. I’ll reiterate my evaluations.

Felder AD531: £1750 - £2000 all day.
Minimax bandsaw: £600 - £750 easy.
Sedgwick Morticer: £400
Xcalibur Tablesaw: Not sure about this one, looks good enough so perhaps around the £500 mark.
Pillar drill: £200.

3k isn’t a bad offer from a dealer really but they still will be earning a decent profit on top of that.

Hi I might be able to help a little with the Felder, only because I’m currently saving up my pennies to buy a new (similar) one later in the year.

Firstly, Felder is a bit like BMW, there is a basic price and then lots of expensive options! If at all possible find the original invoice which should list everything.

You will need to know whether it’s single or 3 phase. It’s not obvious to me from the picture. Single phase is a factory order option and will widen the appeal of the machine a great deal.

I *think* that 2014 was the last year these were in orange (I’m no expert, so take this with a pinch of salt ). So very roughly between 5 and 15 years old?

I’m not going to post Felder prices online and put anyone’s nose out of joint, but Trevanion’s estimate is just under half of brand new and pretty close to a brand new Hammer A3 31. I think that’s strong money if it’s a base model 3phase. Hammer is Felder’s more “budget” brand, think Skoda vs VW. Buying new you also get the option of a Felder engineer on site to set up your new machine and do some training.

I hope that helps a bit, but I think that really you’ll need to get the basic information ready before selling it.

Hi and sorry for the delay in replying. Its tha same era as the machine I sold, circa 2001, value around £700 to £800 if its single phase (plugged into a standard 3 pin socket OR a large Blue connector. Only sell for less if you are desperate to get rid of it. I have told my wife and son the same thing and am in the process of valuing all of my kit just in case something happens. Best of luck, I know its a task accomplished with mixed feelings
Nigel

Hi Nigel, thanks for your message. It's very sad given how much he loved his workshop and woodworking. Luckily, he saved most of the paperwork for his machines but even so, it's still hard figuring out what goes with what and how much it's all worth.

I've found the paperwork for the S45 and it was purchased in 2003 for £1000 inc VAT. It's helpful to know that we shouldn't let it go unless we get the right price.

Your replies have been very helpful so far, thank you.

I've managed to locate some paperwork which shows the Felder is a single phase and was purchased in 2010. The XCalibur was purchased in 2004 from Woodford Tooling. Does anyone else have any idea about the value of this one?

Attachments

• Felder-invoice.jpg
    Felder-invoice.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 155
  • felder-delivery-note.jpg
    felder-delivery-note.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 155
  • xcalibur-invoice.jpg
    xcalibur-invoice.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 155
Sorry, I don't really know! In good condition I can't see it's worth much less than £500. If I was looking for a table saw I'd think around that figure would be worth a punt. Why not stick it on ebay with a reserve of £400 and see how it goes? Might go for quite a lot more if more than 1 person is interested?

The Xcalibur was I believe one of a number of brand names of saw made by Harvey Machinery in Nanjing, China. Harvey manufacture for many importers at a range of price points and until recently Woodford Tooling imported a number of their saws. Why does this matter ? Because Axminster tools are the sole UK importers of the Harvey saws these days and you can see 3 or 4 current models and current prices and make a comparison. The saw in your photo MAY be a little bigger and more powerful than the smallest Harvey model in the catalogue (priced at £1650 as Axminster raised the prices), It is significantly lower spec than the next one priced in the £2000's. It's 14 years old and has no (3 or 5 year) warranty.
The saw looks in good cosmetic condition so I would also guess a selling price of £500+ but definitely below £1,000

The bench drill, looks generic and also quite small. Rexon used that shade of green. They were a good value product but not high spec or high price. A small rexon pillar drill would sell for £30. This looks a little bigger and has a keyless chuck but I'd still put the secondhand value under £100

Sideways":17z0fw8v said:
The bench drill, looks generic and also quite small. Rexon used that shade of green. They were a good value product but not high spec or high price. A small rexon pillar drill would sell for £30. This looks a little bigger and has a keyless chuck but I'd still put the secondhand value under £100

It's a full-sized, floor standing drill, not a bench top model. That adds £100 onto the price :D

Sorry, didn't see your attachments. As well as the single phase option, the Felder planer has a couple of other options. First is the digital display, that's nice to have. The second is the 4 knife block (standard was 2 knife). Both are very much on the "nice to have" list and you should make sure that you mention them in your advert. It's a real shame that it doesn't have the TERSA cutter block, but other than that it's a really nice specification machine that you should have no problem selling privately. If I was looking for a machine like that (I'm not, it's a similar spec to my current machine) I'd happily pay £1500 for it in perfect condition. No idea if anyone else would, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for that, or even possibly £2k+ on a private sale. I hope your Dad enjoyed his workshop and left you some nice keepsakes.

Back