Need a woodworkin' man!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Businessblondie":xcs3qfkb said:
......I might get a mentor and give you lot a run for your money in the end! :wink:

It usually takes at least 5 or 10 years to start turning out decent woodwork. And lots of tool-buying......

MikeG.":3ol4tfn3 said:
Businessblondie":3ol4tfn3 said:
......I might get a mentor and give you lot a run for your money in the end! :wink:

It usually takes at least 5 or 10 years to start turning out decent woodwork. And lots of tool-buying......

Great! I'll be banging out decent woodwork before I'm 30!

Unfortunately, what she is looking for is something that is not normally produced in the UK. Similar products are more usually made in China or Vietnam or somewhere similar, where the people making them can live just like everyone else they know on less than a dollar an hour. None of us here can do that.
I wish her well, I really do, but I don't know how she is going to do the numbers.

I don't think it is my place to say, Mike, but we have been in correspondence. If she wants to go public, that is for her to decide, not me.

Obviously I don’t have a clue what she wants to make, but I often look at wood stuff in shops for inspiration.
Most times I could not make it for the price of the materials and even with free wood, I’d be earning less than a fiver a hour.

I make stuff for friends and family but I very much doubt they realise the time and effort that has gone into it.

Peter Millard did a video recently where he made an ikea step stool. Only way he could conoete was tk use a 15 quid for 3 bits of hardwood challange and exclude his time.

Economy of scale is a pipper.

I can appreciate the craftsmanship that goes in to wood working! When you see things in shops and videos online, its absolutely mind blowing what can be created!
What I want is more mdf, I assume that's a hell of a lot cheaper and light weight...I basically want fillable letters...
I understand if MDF is spat upon in the woodworking community cause well, it's not wood. So if you all think I need to explore a different Avenue for someone who can help I shall go back to the drawing board!

If you are looking for production runs of really cheap stuff in MDF then UK craftsmen are not your answer. A CNC operator might be worth talking to, as it's a machine that should spit the stuff out ten times quicker than any human. Oh, and MDF certainly isn't lightweight.

Mdf has its place and comes in a number of grades. If your fillable letters can be described in a computer readable form, and then arranged in a pattern to make best use of the material, they can be turned out by a CNC machine, needing very little fettling to get a good finish.
It is not exciting work for a CNC workshop but it could be good fill -in work to keep the machines earning.
good luck
Bob

Latest posts

Back