Need a wiring diagram from clarke motor (100LA/2)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingAether

Eternal noob
Reaction score
Brought a used 1ph 3hp motor and starter recently but it came with no wiring diagram and i can't seem to find any online.
has anyone wired the mentioned motor that could take a picture or have any idea if clarke/machine mart have the pdf files hidden on there sites anywhere
thank you

NO diagram unfortunately and ive had a look through the product manuals with no much luck. The last link seems to be having issues on the host end but thank you, appreciate the links.This is the motor and switch as they are incase any motor wiz's are able to help
184748702_581690432749934_177929355894070784_n.jpg183859021_176223824389672_3972640778814950158_n.jpg

Are the terminals labelled? We could do with some pics, also of the motor rating plate and capacitor(s). The user @Myfordman has a link in his posts to an article about wiring up starters. We’ll get to that.

Here are some diagrams from a similar, six-wire TEC motor. These might come in handy once we get the info above.

2381DB5F-685C-4357-B174-785A9F9A0BBA.png

Are the terminals labelled? We could do with some pics, also of the motor rating plate and capacitor(s). The user @Myfordman has a link in his posts to an article about wiring up starters. We’ll get to that.
There are pictures of the termials in the post above yours and if you open them to full size i have marked the terminals clearly (y) Ill take a picture of the data plate and cap now

There are pictures of the termials in the post above yours and if you open them to full size i have marked the terminals clearly (y) Ill take a picture of the data plate and cap now
Ah, I couldn’t see that before, but now I can. Those designations are typically used for three phase motors.

I can’t see why the product manual doesn’t include a wiring diagram. I got my TEC diagram from the company - is it worth contacting Clarke UK?

Unless someone knows this particular model, we’ll have to establish which connections are which, with a multimeter. Do you have one? Disconnect the mains wires and cap, and measure the resistance between U, V and W terminals.

Initial guess is: U1/2 are the run winding, V1/2 the start, and W1/2 access for the centrifugal switch.

The website doesn't have product manuals or pdfs available for there motors; only compressors, presses etc and none inc wiring information. I tried contact clarke and machine mart and both tried to par me off to there tech teams on cost-per-minute premium #'s.
I was hoping someone would have had the same model that could take a photo but i will go out and buy a multi-meter shortly, there is an CEF a minute down the road.

I found the diagram for the switch on their website but still no luck with the motor. I have a multimeter now, so just need to wire switch to motor
6444dcb0719b0078faa2a1c5685b69f4.png
184850501_525368945132385_8255805827322791251_n.jpg
186491647_327412382087903_8775687546653258937_n.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve worked out the terminal assignments of my TEC motor, so by comparison we can work out your motor’s setup.
U is the run winding.
V is the centrifugal switch (not used in perm cap version).
Z is the start/auxiliary winding.

Your motor only lists one capacitor, so it’s likely either a permanent cap or a start cap type. As far as I can see, your motor has both windings permanently connected, which is wrong, and no earth, so don’t attempt to plug it in until we’ve examined it.

image.jpg

I wouldn't plug in until im certain its correct, this is just how it came. It doesn't have a mains cable/plug connected yet so no worries there

With the cap removed and the rest of the wires as they are, resistance values across:
U 1+2 =no reading
W 1+2 = 01.1
V 1+2 = 02.1

Sounds very low. What is the reading if you just short the meter leads together?

Take the brass straps off and repeat. Also check resistance from all points to an exposed metal part, ie earth.

We’ve had some confusion in reading the meter before - please take some pics of the meter screen during readings if you can. One chap was reading “1.—” as 1 ohm when it really meant open circuit.

0.01 between the probes
I don’t get a reading between the terminals and earth

V 1+2
BAA3459E-3594-475A-9B00-1D31A36C7F14.jpeg

W 1+2
D5BF3606-6F76-4723-AC6A-51CE2F8499F3.jpeg

U1+2
B1EFABA4-226C-4D98-8995-69B763D8512E.jpeg

I think your meter pictures are mislabelled. W1 and 2 (red wires) are the 1 ohm run winding.

How many terminals does your capacitor have? Assuming two, check the resistance between them settles on “oL”.

If all is well, connect as in the diagram below.

L to W1
N to W2
Cap between W1 and V1
Strap between W2 and V2
Earth to marked terminal

You could skip the starter for a quick ( a few seconds) test, but make sure the motor is secured so it doesn’t kick around, and be ready to switch off quickly. This has an element of guesswork, and for me it’s remote guesswork.

image.jpg

I appreciate its guess work and am very thankful, its been stressing me out the last few days wanting to get it done and on.
I have double checked and the terminal readings and correct, V = 1 and W = 2, does the latest diagram still hold if that is the case?

Thank you. How do i go about strapping w1 and v1 with U in the middle ?- one from V to U and the other from U to W ?

Thank you. How do i go about strapping w1 and v1 with U in the middle ?- one from V to U and the other from U to W ?
You could just move the wires for now. If all goes well, I was going to suggest a more sensible terminal arrangement.

Don’t forget to test the cap isn’t shorted.

I did check the cap and it showed Lo.
What would you suggest for arrangement? I will do it now while i'm already down to the 4 winding wires

Back