Need a new block plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittyhawk

Established Member
Reaction score
The block plane has become the most important tool in the aircraftery.
The one I have now cost me five bucks secondhand, is unbranded and probably of Chinese origin, needed a fair bit of work doing to it and has proved adequate, just. What I dont like about it is that the blade needs a lot of attention to maintain a decent edge and adjustment is by whacking the back of the blade or the back of the sole with a hammer.
I want to upgrade to a good quality block plane with a screw adjustment and I want to buy once and buy right so cost would not be so important but excluding Veritas planes which are just phenomenally expensive.
I don't plane end grain, just little pieces with the grain where the aim is to remove small amounts of timber accurately. So I am looking for advice on the preferred blade angle for this application and also a good quality brand/size. Thanks.

IMHO the best block plane for small components is the one that sits comfortably in your hand. I have an Lie Nielsen LN102 and it’s perfect for me.

The one I have now cost me five bucks secondhand, is unbranded and probably of Chinese origin, needed a fair bit of work doing to it and has proved adequate, just. What I dont like about it is that the blade needs a lot of attention to maintain a decent edge and adjustment is by whacking the back of the blade or the back of the sole with a hammer.
I want to upgrade to a good quality block plane with a screw adjustment and I want to buy once and buy right so cost would not be so important but excluding Veritas planes which are just phenomenally expensive.
I don't plane end grain, just little pieces with the grain where the aim is to remove small amounts of timber accurately. So I am looking for advice on the preferred blade angle for this application and also a good quality brand/size. Thanks.
I've always been happy with the basic Stanley 220. Older ones with a wooden knob £10 to £20 on Ebay - not the later version without the knob, which is heavier and cruder somehow.
But what about spokeshaves? And some sort of foot operated hold-down so you can use both hands. A model-maker scale shave horse?

Last edited:
Agreed, the L&N 102 is a joy to use and will sit happily in an apron pocket.

The Lie-Nielsen 60 1/2 low angle blockplane with an adjustable throat is a little heavier and more of a workhorse.

Both are really lovely tools with excellent blades.

There's a chap in the Ukraine who will engrave them for you if you like that sort of thing. :)

AE95007B-2FE0-4E32-B9D3-7792BE117676.jpeg8499F353-B593-4C3B-B5FA-19437D059459.jpeg

A buddy of mine brought a chisel plane back from Australia for me when he was down servicing an air tanker fighting forest fires. An RJ85 for the curious. The plane is a Luban and it is decent quality. They have block planes that might fit your needs. Unfortunately the seller my buddy used is out of stock but perhaps there is someplace in NZ that have them or another Aussie with stock.

CWS Store - Luban Bronze Low Angle Block Plane LBP-102 Out of stock

CWS Store - Luban Knuckle Cap Block Planes Out of stock

Luban Block Planes Some types in stock

https://www.timbecon.com.au/knuckle-cap-bronze-apron-planes
Or you could try Aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000324801027.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.1.f5795367445slihttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...sku_id":"10000001571830600","sceneId":"3339"}
I'll buy you a Veritas block plane, low or standard angle and blade material of your choice for one of your airplanes. And have it in the mail by Tuesday. :) I'd be getting the better end of that deal but could live with myself. 😉

Pete

Veritas apron block plane gets a lot of use when I make ukuleles, very similar to your work by the sound of it. Nice and small, so easy to work small edges.

Thank you for the replies.
I think what I need is a block plane at the larger end of the range. My present one has a sole length of 16cm which suits my work well. I don't understand the differing blade angles and what it is that I need.
I'll buy you a Veritas block plane, low or standard angle and blade material of your choice for one of your airplanes. And have it in the mail by Tuesday. :) I'd be getting the better end of that deal but could live with myself. 😉

Veritas block planes are beautiful, the sort of tool I'd bring inside at night and put beside me on the cupboard when I go to bed. What did you have in mind?

Low angle is theoretically for end grain and the standard is for general use. My Record Marples and Veritas NX60 are both low angle and I use them for everything with the Record Marples getting the nod towards rough and dirty construction stuff. Maybe someday I'll get a standard to see if and where it might be better suited. Veritas tools are cool but are best used. They sleep in the shop after the first month or two. SWMBO and the dogs get jealous.

The Mossie is an all time favourite as were the other British fighters but a FW190, Fieseler Storch, Me 262, Zero or Yak would be a treat too and WW1 biplanes like a Newport, Spad, Fokker D7 would not be unwelcome. I now you have done the Mossie before and like new challenges so basically anything that strikes your fancy.

Pete

If its little tiny bits try a luthiers or violin makers plane.

Otherwise I have a veritas low angle. I have had ages and is battered but still good. I would say whatever you get an adjustable throat is very useful for tiny accurate shavings.
To be fair the Irwins with adjustable throat with a sort of cam adjuster are pretty nice I had one for a long time but broke it.

Ollie

Low angle is theoretically for end grain and the standard is for general use. My Record Marples and Veritas NX60 are both low angle and I use them for everything with the Record Marples getting the nod towards rough and dirty construction stuff. Maybe someday I'll get a standard to see if and where it might be better suited. Veritas tools are cool but are best used. They sleep in the shop after the first month or two. SWMBO and the dogs get jealous.

The Mossie is an all time favourite as were the other British fighters but a FW190, Fieseler Storch, Me 262, Zero or Yak would be a treat too and WW1 biplanes like a Newport, Spad, Fokker D7 would not be unwelcome. I now you have done the Mossie before and like new challenges so basically anything that strikes your fancy.

Pete
What I have available at the moment is another Sopwith F1 Camel complete with Snoopy which as stated elsewhere is all your fault and a Mk.1V Wellington. The Camel wingspan is 30cm and the Wellington is 42cm but am happy to build whatever to your preference but with current orders that would not be available until late January.
But firstly, I will find out what the postage to Canada will cost me as that could be the ruination of any potential deal.

And also a FW190D available shortly. When I get an order for something I haven't built before I generally build two in tandem.

What I have available at the moment is another Sopwith F1 Camel complete with Snoopy which as stated elsewhere is all your fault and a Mk.1V Wellington. The Camel wingspan is 30cm and the Wellington is 42cm but am happy to build whatever to your preference but with current orders that would not be available until late January.
But firstly, I will find out what the postage to Canada will cost me as that could be the ruination of any potential deal.

And also a FW190D available shortly. When I get an order for something I haven't built before I generally build two in tandem.

The FW190D would be perfect. We can pretend the Red Baron's nephew is in it. I'll send you a conversation to work it out.

Pete

I have a fantastic record 077a which is a bullnose plane that can be changed to a chisel plane, look them up, get planes. Only about 4" long though.

I also have a couple of stanley 60 1/2s which are great.

I dont wish to start an argument, but ( here goes ) a block plane is in my opinion no different to a normal plane, apart from size. Normal planes are bevel down, block planes are bevel up, so result in basically the same range cutting angle.
Low angle planes are a few degrees lower which is allegedly better for end grain. A lot of fine woodworkers advocate a steeper blade for figured or difficult grain as its less likely to tear out.....

I wouldn't get to hung up on the blade angle unless you are planning something tight and figured, if you are buy yourself a spare blade and grind accordingly. I can and do use mine on end grain but mostly used for cleaning joints etc. As for brand thats a whole can of worms, been fortunate enough to own the premium brands, all of them are a pleasure to use, for me i prefer the clifton. Saying that i bought a quangsheng Luban apron plane a couple of years ago and its a superb little thing that won't break the bank.

The two of us have worked out a fair trade. I get one of the pair FW-190Ds when he complete them and he in turn is getting a Veritas Standard Angle Block Plane with the O1 blade. It's ready for pickup and I'll send it when he requests it in two weeks or so when the FW is ready to fly to me. :) Two happy guys on opposite sides of the world.

Pete

I've been using the old standard Stanley 9 1/2, but if I were to buy one now as a replacement, it would probably be the Lie Nielsen 60 1/2RN rebating model.
I can't sell the Stanley as I've had it since college and deeply engraved my name into it. Some were getting nicked so I took precautions.

The LN would be better were it adjustable mouth, but over the years I've found theres always a need to trim right up along a closed edge.
Rebating block plane.jpg

The two of us have worked out a fair trade. I get one of the pair FW-190Ds when he complete them and he in turn is getting a Veritas Standard Angle Block Plane with the O1 blade. It's ready for pickup and I'll send it when he requests it in two weeks or so when the FW is ready to fly to me. :) Two happy guys on opposite sides of the world.

Pete
Whoopee !!!
The aircraftery has gone international.
Fame at last!

And as Pete says, a good deal that's pleasing for the both of us.

I've got a faithful block plane any chance of a trade for a Lancaster bomber?!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣

Did the Lancaster have the range to fly to NZ?!

Cheers James

Back